‹ Prequel: Misanthropy

'Cause That's All I Ever Wanted

The Beginning

Ding dong!
"I'll get it Matt! OMG hey Alice, how are you babe?"

"Hey Lauren, Can we talk?"

"Sure thing darl, whats up?" I say as i shut my front door behind me; if this was something
important, than Matt didn't need to hear it.

"Can we sit?" said Alice, looking at the garden seat in my front yard.

"Sure thing." We walked over and took a seat. I hold my breath, waiting.

"I'm Moving."

"What? Where too?"

"Melbourne." she said quietly.

"What?! You cant be!" i protested, raised my voice a little. how could this be?

"I know, they told me last night. i tryed to argue, but they wouldn't hear it. they said it was going, no ifs buts or maybes."

"That's bullcrap man and you know it."

"Tell me about it." We sat there for a while, just looking at each other. It wasn't the right setting for this; it was a warm summers day with not a single cloud in the sky, it didn't seem to fit the picture. Okay, so lets just set the scene, it's three weeks till the end of term and the midyear holidays so i cant wait! and did i forget to mention that i was planing in a girls getaway? Well there's really no point if Alice isn't even going to be here, i mean i don't even like Frank; i only hang out with her because she's Alice's friend and I've known Alice for years so i can't just ditch the girl cause i don't like her friend, besides if i was to do anything like that who knows what Blake would do to me.Where was i before i rudely interrupted myself? Oh yeah! so its nearly the end of semester and my best friend just told me she was moving away; great!

* * *

I sighed, it was the last day of school for this semester and it would be the last day i would see Alice for...oh i don't know; ages. I was planing a Surprise party for her afterwards at my house, but something was telling me she already know about it. Its always like this though, i do something special for her and she finds out and doesn't do anything back in return- now don't get me wrong; I'm not that type of person! i just want recognition. A smile and a thank you would serfice... but there's never a smile anymore.
The day went on like usual; nothing new just finishing up things we didn't get finished during the term; the exams were over so there was really nothing we could do.
"Alice, your coming home with me." i thought i better remind her.

"Am i now Lauren?"

"Yes! now hurry up or we'll be late!"

"Haha okay then."

When i pulled Alice through the door, everyone jumped out and said "Surprise!' A little cliché i know. She laughed, and it made me feel as if I'd done something right for once.
"So Alice, whats your new house look like?"

"I'm not sure actually, dad said it had a nice front yard and a tree swing out the
back....double story and my room was purple."

"How big is your wardrobe?"

"LOL, I'm not sure Lauren; why?"

" 'Cause you can't NOT take your wardrobe with you girl! i spent all the time and effort, not to mention money-"

"-My money-" Chipped in Mikey.

"to see you leave it all behind."

"My new school has a uniform."

"Naww, cute." Blake said as he took another gulp of his VB.

"Shut up Blake." He smiled at this retort.

The rest of the night was spent dancing, drinking and laughing. None of us wanted it to end, but by one, we decided we'd better call it a night. I couldn't sleep though, cause if i fell asleep then the morning would come and carry Alice away.