‹ Prequel: Misanthropy

'Cause That's All I Ever Wanted

Heads Or Tails?

After we dropped Lauren home, Mickey came back to my place to play some game.

"So," said Mikey casually."how long have you liked Lauren for?" I put down my drum sticks and looked at him.

"Watcha mean?" I asked.

"Oh come on Blake! Isn't it obvious? I mean you spent all of today fretting about her in sickbay, caressing her forehead. And earlier you jumped in to hold me back, yet you throw the last punch?" As he said this, he paused the game and took off his guitar, placing it on the coffee table in front of us. "I think the only person that doesn't no is Lauren." At that moment i stood up and walked towards the kitchen and grabbed a packet of chips and sat them down on the coffee table.

"Why does it matter?" I questioned, sitting back down on the couch. Sure I liked Lauren, i have for a while now, but so what? It's not as if she likes me back anyway... we're just friends; that's all we'll ever be. "She's got alot on her plate already, don't cha think?"

"Yes, but someone to lean one, to look after her. She's like that." Mikey told me, opening up the cheese and chive chips.

"That's what she's got you for." I muttered and picked up my drumsticks and pressed play.

* * *

When Mikey left, i walked over to the phone on the wall, picked it up and sat down in the stool next to it. As i checked my phone for the right number, i thought about what i was going to say. Then I dialed and waited for them to answer. "Hello?"

"Um hey, this is Blake, is Lauren home?" I asked.

"Oh hello Blake; I'll go get her for you." Lauren's mother replied kindly. As i waited, i went through it all in my head again' what i was going to say and how. But it doesn't work that way, i no that all too well. Nothing that needs to be said is ever said.

"Hello?" Asked Lauren; obviously her mother hadn't told her who was on the other end of the phone.

"Hey Lauren, it's Blake."

"Hey Blakey! how are you sexy?" sounded her voice smoothly through the mouth piece.

"Well you're back to your old self." i said, rather apathetically, which i didn't mean.

"So are you." She replied, picking up on my tone. "I was thinking; I'm gonna invite Alice over for a weekend sometime soon... not sure when" she trailed off.

"Talking about getting together, I was wondering if you wanted to come over saturday night? My parents are out of town. Did you wanna come, watch a movie or something?"

"Oh, umm sounds great. Not sure if i have anything else on; gotta check. Can i call you back when i know?"

"yeah, sure." She didn't seem too enthused, but then again, she's had a lot on her mind lately... maybe she doesn't even wanna get out of the house? I know i wouldn't if i was in her position; home is the safest place.

"So, whatcha get up to since you dropped me off?" she asked.

"Not much really, not much at all. Mikey came back here and we played Guitar Hero, but that's about all. Did you get any sleep?"

"Stop trying to change the subject, and yes i did... but i woke up dreadfully early this morning."

"What time?" i asked.

"Six. I don't even get up that early to get ready for school... well not anymore; my makeup and hair doesn't take that long these days."

"HA!" I couldn't believe she would say that. "I'm sorry, i guess you haven't been trying to impress someone?"

"Was i ever trying to impress someone?" she teased back. "I better go! I'll find out what's going on. Cya Blakey."

As i hung up the phone i realised that i hadn't even said what i wanted to say. I guess i'll just have to wait for her to call me back and plan on that, if she says yes; i tell her and if she says no, then it's over. It's all over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please! I'd really like to know what you think of it!!