Believe In Me

Bang

It was unusually quiet that morning. No birds were chirping. Nobody was awake. Just the daunting sound of oxygen rushing in and out of Nick’s lungs was heard in the small bedroom. She sat rigid.

Listening.

Waiting.

The pit of her stomach told her it was going to happen soon.

Something.

Anything.

And then she heard what she thought was it. The tires rolled down the road, popping rocks along the way, and then it stopped. The engine cut. And that was it.

No car door opening.

No footsteps walking.

Not a sound.

Her own breathing was heard now. The time had come.

And she was right.

Through the sharp morning air one thing woke up the neighbors and startled those few awake.

A gun shot.

“What the hell?” Nick moaned and rolled over. “Joe go back to sleep!”

“It wasn’t Joe.” She was standing at the window looking at the scene in front of her. Her next door neighbor walked out in a robe and socks just to run back inside with a hand over her open mouth upon seeing the car in Dailee’s driveway. A couple minutes later she ran out with a phone up to her ear and Nick was by Dailee’s side. “What the- Dailee? Is that blood?” She didn’t answer, just stood there with a solemn look plastered on her face. “Dailee, come on, let’s go back to bed.” Looking down, she stood there, not really processing what he had said. He pulled her arm and she allowed him to direct her back to the bed. Once they were both under the covers she laid on her back; her eyes had an unnatural gleam in them. Nick glanced at the clock then back at the girl he wanted to figure out. She hates her mom, but she’s acting like she is in denial to whatever is happening outside.

Sighing he reached over and took her hand in his hesitantly just as the sirens were starting to draw near.

“Nick, what’s going on outside?” Joe ambled over to the curtains, yawning slightly as he ruffled his unruly hair. He froze. The paramedics were pulling a bloody unresponsive woman from the car and laying her on a stretcher. “Oh my God. They’re not even trying to revive her.”

The tears started.

The sobs wracking her body.

It was finally over.

It was finally

Over.
♠ ♠ ♠
It was short, delayed, and crappy... I appoligize.

One chapter to go.

Feedback appreciated.