Believe In Me

Piano Practice

Right after his death, everyone wondered why I just stopped talking. Some people were even stupid enough to actually ask me why I stopped talking… umm hello, if I don't talk to anyone else why would I talk to a random kid? Yeah, I don't know either. Teachers thought I was depressed. Others just thought that I just started hating everyone. Personally, I liked the one where they said I decided I was better than everyone else. Well, here's the real reason: I figured out that there is so much more to life than high school drama. I didn't need girl friends who would use me for gossip points, and I didn't need boyfriends who would waste their time trying to get in my pants [insert Paul's name here]. I'm not saying that people don't need friends in their life. I had that one friend you can always depend on: Cale. Now don't even ask me why I'm talking to Nicholas Jerry Jonas. I don't even know why I can't get him off my mind.
His face…
His smile…
His curls...

STOP!
Ugh. This is going to get real old, real fast. I don't know what I'm going to do with him, but I think I have a plan…

They were all walking home that Friday, not taking the bus was a traditional "Friday standard". Dailee lagged behind Cale and Nick like she normally did, not particularly paying attention to their conversation. She was perfectly content with just letting the cool air enter her lungs, and not having a care in the world. But of course, that never lasted long, did it? "Hey Dailee, why haven't you been practicing lately?" Cale asked as Nick and him slowed down to her pace.

Dailee looked at him then back at the ground, "Why bother?"

"Stop it Dailee, do you want to forget him completely?" Cale instantly regretted saying that. It made him feel even worse when he noticed her expression. He didn't even know why he even asked her, and in front of Nick too. Mentally slapping himself, Cale quickly apologized, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

"You're right, you shouldn't have said anything." Dailee started to walk faster.

Cale tried to keep up with her, but Nick held him back, "Just let her cool off."
"You're right," Cale said as they walked a little slower, letting Dailee disappear around a corner.

Nick didn't want to make Cale feel any worse than he already did, but curiosity got the best of him, "If you don't mind me asking, what hasn't Dailee been practicing?"

He sighed and ran a hand through his straight blonde hair, "The piano."

Nick cocked his head to the side, "She plays?"

"She really good. She just doesn't think she is," Cale admitted nodding sadly, "So she's been playing less and less lately. I don't know why though. Dad taught her how to play and if he were still here she would have never stopped playing every day. He always encouraged her to keep trying more difficult pieces…"

Nick looked confused as Cale trailed off, "Where is he?"

The emotion that danced across Cale's face was one of pure pain and heart ache as he choked out one word, "Gone."

Nick stumbled forward in realization. Now he really regret saying anything, "Oh my god, I had no idea. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have asked anything."

Cale shook his head, "You didn't know, it's alright."

"Still, I had no right to pry… I'm sorry," He apologized again while kicking a stone out of his way.

"Well now that it's out of the bag, you can ask questions. If you don't tell anyone that is," Cale side glanced at him while they turned onto their street.

"Are you sure? I don't want to cause any more trouble…" Nick stated feeling guilty.

Cale sighed, "Well, I dragged myself into this. How about I come over tomorrow? Then you can think about what you want to ask and I can control my emotions easier."

"Alright, sounds good," Nick agreed, "How about twelve-ish?"

Cale nodded, "I'll see you then."

Cale was really just in a hurry to get home and apologize to Dailee again. He never meant
for Nick to get involved unless Dailee wanted him to. It was too late now. He just hoped that Dailee wouldn't blow up. He guessed it didn't matter though because she was still gone from the night she broke Dailee's camera; which was a good thing cause this might get ugly, "Dailee?"

Cale cautiously stood in front of her door, "Dailee, can I talk to you?"

"Go away, Cale," Dailee's voice was muffled but firm.

"Dailee, please open the door. I want to apologize. I didn't mean-"

She threw the door open, "You didn't mean to bring up the fact that I might forget about the only thing that is keeping me sane, the only thing that I think about every morning when I get up and every night when I go to bed?"

Cale felt a surge of guilt harden in his stomach, "What's the only thing keeping you sane?"
"The thought of being with him again someday. Hopefully someday soon." She whispered, tears started to come down her face now.

"NO! Dailee, don't you even think about that! You can’t do that to me. It was hard enough losing him… If I lost you too…"

She shakily inhaled and the tears poured harder down her face, "I don't know how much longer I can live in this Hell. Cale, you're the only family I have left."

"Dailee, promise me, and I don't care how good you are at keeping promises, that you will never do that to me. I couldn't live with myself if I found another person I love d-dead," he now had tears traveling down his neck, but he didn't bother to wipe them away, he didn't even notice them.

She flung her arms around his neck and went into hysterics, "Ca-Cale, I-I'm sor-ry. I would n-never do that to y-you. Never."

"Shh, it's ok," he whispered, rubbing her back, "I just don't know what I'd do if you ever did."

He led her inside her room, still hugging her, and sat down on the bed gently, "I'm sorry Dailee. I brought the whole thing up in front of Nick and I shouldn't have. Now take some deep breaths, because there's something else I have to tell you."

Once she was settled down, Dailee nodded approval for Cale to continue. "I was wondering if you wanted to come with me to Nick's house. He asked some questions and I told him some general answers, but I knew he wanted to know more. Do you want to come with me and talk to him?"

Dailee didn't even have to think about her answer, "No."

Cale sighed knowing that she would respond like this. She never wanted anyone to know what really happened, not even Cale knew the whole story, "Dailee, please, just come with me. You don't have to say anything, just sit there. Sit there, look pretty, I'll answer questions, we'll go home. Sound good?"

Dailee rolled her still teary eyes, "Fine, I'll go but I'm not saying a word."

He hugged her tighter, "Thank you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry guys... I would of had this out sooner but my birthday was yesterday...yeahh
Anyways, I hope you guys liked the update!
Happy Halloween!
=]