Beautiful Death

New Me

I was greeted by my two baby cousins Mikey and Gerard when I reached what would be my new home.

Gerard being the older of the two and now 5 ran at me hanging off my leg as Mikey, two, toddle over attempting to keep his balance whilst rushing toward my other leg, which he imitated Gerard and hung off.

“Hey guys! Gee you’ve gotten such a big boy! And you little Mikey! You’re walking!” I cooed at them.

Last time I’d seen the boys was last year, I’d missed them terribly.

They made me feel so needed and love when I was around them, they always wanted my attention and it was amazing.

Uncle Don heard all the commotion and walked out from the kitchen to greet me in the living room.

“Bella! Look at you! A beautiful young woman! You name’s very right, Bella, beautiful.” He smiled at me.

“My names Bella murte, beautiful death, it can’t be that right….” I sighed.

Uncle Don and Aunty Donna knew how I had hated my name, and never used my full Christian name when addressing me unlike my father.

“Bella, would you…like to change your name?” aunty Donna asked me.

I looked shocked, I’d never thought about changing it, I don’t think father would have let me anyway, he wanted me to know I had killed my mother, and my name was a constant reminder of that.

“Would I….would I be allowed to?” I stuttered out.

She nodded and smiled.

“I don’t know what I’m going to change it to.” I frowned.

After Gerard and Mikey had been put to bed – very unwillingly may I add – we sat and read through a book of baby names, I eventually settled on changing my name to Aiden, it’s a boys name I know but I loved it, I felt like an Aiden.

First thing in the morning we went and got my name changed.

“Bella why you change you’re name?” Gerard asked me when we left.

“We call her Aiden now Gee.” Donna smiled at him

“Ok, Aiden, why you change you’re name?” he asked again, correcting himself.

I couldn’t help but laugh at him, he was so cute!

“Because I didn’t like my old name!” I told him.

“Ok, I didn’t like it either, it was silly!” he giggled and I laughed at him again, scooping him up and placing him on my shoulders as he let out a squeal of delight.

I loved my new name. Aiden Elena Way.

This was a fresh new start, new home, new family, new name, new school, new life.....new me!