Beautiful Death

A Comfort Blanket So To Speak

“Aiden?”

…..

*poke*

…..

“Aiden…”

*poke*

…..

“Aiden!”

It was evident by now that Gerard wasn’t going to go away and leave me to sleep in peace.

“Whadya want Gee?” I mumbled.

“I had a bad dream….” He whispered.

I sighed and pulled up the covers losing some of the warmth my body had built up under there.

Gerard scrambled in quickly and snuggled up to me.

At leased he doesn’t freak out about his bad dreams anymore.

He used to wake up screaming and no one could get near him for at leased half hour, then he’d refuse to sleep until finally his little body couldn’t take it anymore and he’d crash out in the car.

Donna had tried everything to try and help him get through and over these nightmares but nothing seemed to help.

She was about to seek professional help when I asked if I could try and help him.

She agreed to let me give it a shot and on one of his sleep resisting nights I placed him next to me in my bed cuddled him and told him that:

“The problems we face in dreams help to make us stronger for the problems we face in life. For a dream is just a dream, you will wake up and a loved one will be around to comfort you but in life sometimes there are problems you have to tackle alone and without those horrible dreams you’ll have no strength in which to fight them.”

My nana Elena had once told me this after a nightmare about my parents, it hadn’t helped me any but I never forgot those words she spoke to me.

They seemed to help Gerard though; he stopped screaming and resisting sleep. But he did however take to climbing in beside me when he had had a bad dream.

I was sort of like his comfort blanket now so to speak.

And as strange as this may sound seeing as Gerard is only five I’m the person he talks to about things teenagers would be scared to talk to their parents about, things like death, hatred, very morbid things.

It scares me sometimes how a five year old could think and know about such things.

But I’m happy he tells me about his fears and thoughts on such subjects.

Its better that way.

Also, as close as Gerard is to me, his adoptive big sister, I can just tell that he and Mikey will be so much closer, not just because its blood related, but it’s the way that Gerard and he look out for each other even now.

At the moment it’s cute because their so small, but when their older their relationship will be amazing, better than mine and Gee’s.

Gerard will be Mikey’s comfort blanket, and Gerard will love it.