The Difference

The First

You wouldn’t have thought she was different. She looked like an ordinary eleven year old, with brownie-blonde hair and hazel eyes. She was of average height and wore plain tee-shirts and normal old jeans, worn out at the knees. But, as they always say, it’s what’s inside that counts. She was certainly different in the inside. She was always fighting herself to stay in control, not let them win. Although they promised that she would be cared for, she would be forever in the arms of her parents, and she would not give up. She was special.
She walked down the road, not noticing what was going on around her. She was going home, to her nana. She’d lived there since she was little, since her parents had died, murdered in the night. She was spared, though those that left her were punished. They had not been able to kill her; they were going to be destroyed as she was the one that had been prophesied, she was going to walk into the stronghold of evil, and forever stop the ones that had killed her parents. Her nana saw her when she walked through the door. Her heart lifted as she saw her. The room that girl was in just…. Lightened when she smiled, and it shook as she laughed. She was going to be as powerful as her mother when she was older, the old woman thought. She almost is now. The grandmother of the strange child had greying hair and very light blue eyes. Poor John had different eyes. Cathi had the same eyes as her father. She was the splitting image of her mother in every other way, though. It was her punishment, to see her granddaughter every day, but see her like she was her daughter. She wished she was there when they died. She wished… no that would be cruel. ‘They hate me. They look at me, and laugh and call me names. Just because my parents died. I’m not different in any other way. I look the same as all the other girls. The same hair colour, the same clothes. Just because I have a strange past……. Unless their right, and I am weird. Do I act weird to you?’ Cathi said to her pet dog, Fossil. She called her Fossil because she was grey, and looked old, even though she was just a puppy. But at least she was trustworthy. Pets are really trustworthy. Maybe it’s because they can’t talk…….
‘They talk to me as if I’m dumb, like I can’t understand. They say things like ‘’Lou…can…you…pass…me…. That….book…please?” I’m not stupid. They’re just jealous. I’m always first in tests.’ Fossil yawned and jumped off the bed, as it was time for his lunch. Cathi’s grandmother usually opened a tin of dog food around 5pm.
‘He’s obviously thinking of other things.’ Cathi thought. “Nana, I’m going out, see you later!” She called.
She left.
Cathi was walking down the road when they saw her. They waited until she had gone into the bookshop before making their move. Then they grabbed her, as she came out again.
“ARRGH!!! GET OFF ME!!!” The girl screamed “HELP!!! SOMEONE, HELP ME!!!!”
But no one came. The hooded figures dragged her into an alley with the intention of killing her. But that wasn’t going to happen. She yelled again,
“GET OFF ME!!” this time, they did. They flew away from her, into the wall. Cathi ran away, scared, thinking ‘did I do that????’