The Difference

Frankie!

3 Years Later
“Come on Frankie. Look what mummy’s’ done for you!” The young man said happily
“No-no. Sta ere.” The stubborn child cried
“Darling, it’s time to eat!” A voice came from inside the house
“Foo!” The child came running
“Yes Frankie, food!” The voice came again
The too young people kissed and sat down to eat. But it was not to be…………….
Suddenly the window smashed and a hooded man jumped through the pane.
The young man ran to protect the child and the woman reached for a book nearby. She threw it at the creature now standing in the room by the doorway. She whispered in a strange language and the beast turned to dust. The two looked at each other, worry clearly showing on their faces.
“It couldn’t be………. We destroyed them all, didn’t we?” The young woman asked.
The child started to cry loudly.
‘Shhh Frankie- it’s ok! The nasty mans gone!’ The father tried to sooth the shocked child, but it didn’t have quite the desired effect….
‘WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!’
*************************

‘NO! NOT AGAIN! I WILL HAVE TO DO IT MYSELF……”

***************************
“Come on honey, its ok! That nasty old man is gone now.” Cathi said to the sobbing youngster. And he promptly stopped crying…..
“I don’t know how you do it!” Gerard cried out. “I really don’t!”
“You either have it or you don’t” She shrugged.
“That isn’t fair!”
“Err, yes, it is!”
************************
“THEY ARE BICKERING LIKE CHILDREN. SO I SHALL TAKE THEIRS….”
The shadow passed through the room and emerged into the bright sunlight.
It transformed into a young man. Into Gerard.
***************************
‘I need to go to work, honey. See you soon!’ Gerard called to his wife cheerfully.
‘Bye! But I’m not so sure that it’s safe….’ She replied.
Gerard turned and raised his eyebrows at her.
‘Ok, now I’m not allowed to leave the house. That basically means they won, we live in fear. If a person in this ‘verse decides we can’t do summat we want to when we’ve been doing that for years, that ain’t very clever or bright is it? If you feel for something, for someone, there ain’t nothing in the ‘verse that could stand in the way. So I aim to do this. We came to this place separately, now we are together. We are gonna stop this guy, whoever or what ever, and we gonna live happily ever after. Whatever happens.’ He said.
‘Stop quoting SERENITY! That’s my thing!’ Cathi snapped.
‘Okay, babe. Sorry!’ Gerard called back as he was walking out.