Anywhere Is Better Than Here

Chapter Ten

It was finally last period, two minutes before the bell rings, and I'm jittery as hell. Today had been way too damn long, and I just wanted to go home and into the safe confines of my bedroom. Yeah, I barely even go to the Jonas' anymore. They usually just come over and Denise will help my mom make dinner or something.

I looked back up at the clock and noticed that it was five seconds from the bell ringing. FINALLY! I darted up from my seat, rushing out the door and to my locker. I had no homework tonight so I just shoved all of my books into my locker, not caring that some papers were coming out of them. After slamming my locker shut, I speed walked through the halls, finally making it to the front entrance. I saw Mike Kenderson, Frenchie, and some of their other friends standing on the side against the wall. Mike's blue eyes widened a little bit when he saw me like they always do and a smile broke out on his face.

"Hey Abby!" he called, pushing his tall, lanky body off of the wall

I walked over to him, letting my shoulder lean against the wall as I crossed my arms over my chest, "Hey Mike, what's up?"

"Nothing much. Hey, I'm having a party at my house on Friday. You should totally come," he said.

I laughed, "I don't know Mike, maybe. I'll see what I'm doing."

His smile widened, "Alright, cool, it's gonna be so much fun. Oh, and I think the Jonai are looking for you."

He pointed to the three brothers that were looking around, trying to spot me. Nick spotted me, and walked over, trying to act all cool. I laughed and pushed myself off the wall as he made his way over. He glared up at Mike, taking my hand.

"Come on Abby, we have to go," he said, tugging on my hand.

"Alright, alright!" I turned around and said goodbye to Kenderson and Frenchie who just noticed me standing there.

"Bye Abby," they both said, and turned back to the conversation they were having before I got there.

"Why were you talking to him?" Nick asked as we made our way back to the other Jonas'.

"He's my friend," I said.

"Oh," he growled, turning back around and I followed him as we saw Mike light up a cig. "So you're friends with a smoker?"

"Uhh, yeah, I am actually," I spat.

What the hell was everyones problem today? Seriously!

"Why?" he spat back.

I decided to not tell him I smoke because I know he'd have a bitch fit, so I just shrugged and said, "Because he's a great guy and he's really nice. That’s why, ass."

"Whatever," he grumbled, as we made it to Kevin's car.

Kevin unlocked the doors and I made my way into the front with Kevin, not wanting to deal with the two annoying younger brothers as of right now. Joe got into the back with Nick, as Kevin put the keys into the ignition.

"Can I come over?" Kevin asked, as we got onto the road.

I looked over at him like he was stupid, "Since when do you ask?"

"I need to talk to you," he whispered.

My eyes instantly softened and I nodded my head, grabbing his hand and giving it a slight squeeze.

"Hey, we wanna come too!" Joe whined from the back seat.

We slowed as a red light came up and Kevin turned his head to look at his two brothers, "No, you two have homework, don't you?"

"I don't!" Joe said.

"I don't care, no. Come over later with Mom or something. I need to talk to Abby," he said, turning back around once the light turned green.

"I do too! Mandy is getting PMS-y or something and I need advice," Joe exclaimed and Nick stifled a laugh.

I turned my head and looked at Joe, shooting him a glare, "No Joseph. Come over later. Kevin and I need to talk."

Joe lowered his head and sulked with a cute pout on his face, "Fine!"

After dropping Nick and Joe off at home, Kevin drove the four blocks to my house and pulled into my driveway. I got my bag and hopped out of the SUV, onto the hard pavement. I got out my keys and unlocked the door, Kevin and I made our way inside.

"Mom I'm home!" I yelled up the stairs, "Kevin's here!"

There was no answer so I figured she left a note in the kitchen. I saw there was a small post-it on the island in the middle of our kitchen which read:

Dear Abby,

I went to Mrs. Santiago's house. I took your advice; I needed to get out of the house for awhile. I'll be home around six to start dinner. Call up one of the boys or someone to come over to keep your company maybe?

Love,
Mommy.


I looked up at Kevin and saw he was raiding my fridge for something to drink. "Mom's at Mrs. Santiago's house until six. We got the house to ourselves until then," I said, placing the Post-It in the garbage.

"Cool," Kevin replied, placing down a coke can in front of me.

"Thanks," I cracked it open and took a swig before placing it down and asking, "So, what do you want to talk about?"

He took a seat across from me at the bar on the other side of the island and leaned his arms on the counter. He sighed, "I...I don't know if it's too soon to talk about your brother with you yet."

I shook my head, placing a hand on top of his, "Kevin, please, talk about him. I don't want you bottling up your feelings."

He looked up at me, "You're one to talk. You bottle up yours."

I laughed, "Can't argue with you there," I took another sip of my coke, "Go on."

"I just...really miss him," he said, resting his chin on his hands.

"I do too," I said, "But listen, at least he's not suffering."

"You're right," he said awkwardly.

It was quiet for awhile as I kept rotating my coke can and he bounced his legs. He finally looked up at me after about four minutes and sighed again. "I think I loved him," he said, finally.

I looked up at him again, and chuckled, "Well of course you loved him, he was your best friend," I replied.

"No, I mean like, in love with him," he replied back.

The coke I was sipping got caught in my throat and I swear that it almost came out my nose. I choked a little before coughing out a, "You're serious?"

Kevin came over and hit my back gently before resting his hands on my shoulders and giving me a gentle massage, "Yeah, I think I wa-am."

I turned around in his arms and gave him a long lasting hug. I smiled up at him as tears came to my eyes, "I'm sorry this had to happen, Kevin. You two would have made an amazing couple."

"Yeah," he stayed silent for awhile as he brushed the tears that fell down my cheeks away, "My only regret it not telling him that I love him."

"Well he knows now," I whispered, pulling away and wiping at my own tears.

He chuckled, "Yeah, I guess you're right."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi, I know it's not an amazing update, but I promise it will get even better soon. The next couple of chapters are probably going to be fillers because I don't want to rush this. Again, please comment and/or subscribe. It means a lot to me if you guys tell me how I'm doing and what you like or dislike. Thanks.

xx, alexis