Fathers

Jamia Arrives...

“Where you going?”
“Upstairs.”
“Why?”
“Aww don’t you like us anymore?” Frank pouted before sucking on the cigarette and blowing out the smoke.
“No I have asthma.”
“Ah.” I cringed a little. I knew all them except Mikey smoked.
“It’s ok Frank take it outside.” Ray pointed to the door.
“What? It’s raining!” he protested.
“Then put it out.”
“I never thought I’d hear you say that Mr twenty a day.” I Frank stubbed his cigarette out in an ashtray.
“Yeah well I’ve been meaning to give up.” I sat back down again.
“How can you smoke cancer sticks anyway?” I asked them.
“Cancer sticks?”
“They might as well be called that.”
“They’re addictive.” Frank shrugged.
“Didn’t you get a lesson at school where you learnt about how bad smoking is?” They all shook their heads.
“I think I skipped that lesson…” Gerard muttered before going and fetching a soda from the fridge.
“I went to catholic school, we didn’t know any better, I think half of us lost our virginity before 18.” Frank said staring at the cigarette in the ash tray.
“Eww.” I muttered and flicked on the TV.
“You guys staying the night then?” Ray asked Gerard, Mikey and Frank.
“I guess.” Gerard mumbled turning most of his attention towards the TV.
“Yeah Alicia’s away so the apartment’s empty apart from Bunny.” Mikey said.
“Frank?” Bob looked at him.
“Umm I dunno last time Jamia went…” Frank trailed off and rolled his eyes.
“Tell her to come she meet Charlotte.” Bob said. Frank shrugged and reached in his jeans pocket for his cell. He moved from his seat and into the hallway where we could here him talking to Jamia. He came and sat back down again a few minutes later. About 20 minutes later the door opened and a small woman with pale skin, black hair, brown eyes and wearing a black skirt, white hoodie and black pumps. So this was Jamia. She was pretty.
“Hi guys.” she said to everyone as she came in and sat down next to Frank kissing him on the cheek. Ouch I kinda liked Frank (ok had a totally massive crush on him) and I was now kinda jealous.
“Hey Jamia.” the guys chorused and Frank nudged Jamia and nodded towards me.
“Oh hi.” Jamia smiled at me then whispered to Frank “Who is she?”
“She’s Charlotte.” Jamia just looked at him.
“The girl at the foster home?” Jamia kept the same face.
“The girl I told you about?”
“The girl who cried to me then fell asleep on me?” Ray and Bob looked at me when he said that and Jamia kept the same face.
“The girl Bob and Ray adopted?” Jamia shook her head. Frank rolled his eyes and sighed.
“I told you about her when I first met her and mentioned her whenever we talk. Don’t you listen?” Frank asked her. Jamia looked down at the floor and Frank got up.
“I need a smoke, I’ll be on the roof.” he muttered as he went outside. We heard him clambering up some ladders outside then there was silence. I got and left them to talk and headed for my room.