Fathers

Her hair smelt like strawberries...

“Frankie!” Charlotte squealed as she ran up and hugged me. I hugged her back and leant my head on top of hers. Her hair smelt like strawberries. Wait did I just smell her hair? She pulled away from me and grabbed my hand then made me run with her back to where Ray and Bob were stood laughing at us. Charlotte’s hand was soft, not like mine. My hands were rough and covered in blisters. I bet she hated the feel of my hands. Jamia did. When we reached Bob and Ray Charlotte didn’t let go of my hand straight away, she held it for a moment then slowly pulled her hand from mine.
“Do you guys wanna head back to the house?” Ray asked me and Charlotte. “Me and Bob kinda want some alone time.”
“Sure whatever, come on Frank.” Charlotte said. We waved bye to them as they set off hand in hand round the park. As me and Charlotte walked back to the house there was an awkward silence. Well there would be one, wouldn’t there if you’d tried to kiss a 16 year old girl, twice, when you were engaged, knowing full well that the girl liked you. When we were back at the house Charlotte went to her bedroom and I soon heard Foo Fighters blare from above me. I sighed to myself and flopped down on the couch. Why do I have to fuck things up? I asked myself before closing my eyes and hoping that when I woke up everything would be back to normal with me and Jamia, but I knew it wasn’t ever going to be the same now Charlotte was part of my life. Woke up. Everything was still the same. Shit.