Fathers

The Prettiest Star

Frank’s POV
“Just go Frank. Come back when you know.”
I turned and dragged myself out of the room. This was the lowest point of my life. I thought I loved Charlotte, but then...why couldn’t I say it to her? Maybe I didn’t love her anymore. But she was always on my mind! But...whenever I thought of something good, I’d think of all the fights we’d had and all the bad shit.

To be honest, this all was my fault. I’d taken the news badly, worse than I’d thought actually. I still can’t believe I asked if she...if she wanted to get rid of it...
I didn’t know she’d take it that way...I mean, she’s a kid! No, no, that’s an even worst way of putting it!
She’s young. And it wasn’t like she only had this one chance to have a kid, she had the rest of her life to have one. I thought she might have...y’know...wanted to wait a bit longer to have a baby. That’s the only reason I suggested it.

I forced myself to step outside of the hospital and get into my car. I shouldn’t be going home. Charlotte had just given birth to my child! I should be handing out cigars or something, not sitting in my car, feeling sorry for myself. I mean, what about Charlotte! She’d just given birth and now she doubted that I loved her. And out daughter. She’d been born into this mess of a relationship.

I turned on my CD player. I needed to drown my thoughts. It didn’t help. Charlotte’s David Bowie album was in there and her favourite song came on, ‘The Prettiest Star’. I remember telling her that she was the prettiest star in the whole universe. She never believed me.
‘To sing a song of when I loved, the Prettiest Star’

A salty tear ran down my face, followed by another and another, until floods of them were pouring down my face. I buried my face in my hands and sobbed into them, only removing them from my face when I needed to restart the song. I couldn’t stop listening to it. It reminded me soo much of her.

‘Cold fire, you've got everything but cold fire
You will be my rest and peace child
I moved up to take a place, near you

So tired, it's the sky that makes you feel tried
It's a trick to make you see wide
It can all but break your heart, in pieces

Staying back in your memory
Are the movies in the dark
How you moved is all it takes
To sing a song of when I loved
The Prettiest Star

One day though it might as well be someday
You and I will rise up all the way
All because of what you are
The Prettiest Star

Staying back in your memory
Are the movies in the past
How you moved is all it takes
To sing a song of when I loved
Prettiest Star

One day though it might as well be someday
You and I will rise up all the way
All because of what you are
The Prettiest Star’