Status: Complete. [Sequel - You're A Classic Like A Little Black Dress]

Invisible

Fun? I think not.

The following week passed in a blur, days blending into one another, conversations going in one ear and right out the other. Before I knew it, it was my birthday - my 17th birthday to be exact.

The day passed quite normally, as was now usual, I sat next to Patrick on the wall at lunch – still without saying one word. That was the only thing that kept me going, knowing I was going to see him, the strange connection I felt growing stronger day after day.

Driving home on my return from school, I felt an odd sensation, like something big was about to happen, but I hadn’t a clue what it was.

I pulled up in the driveway and grabbed my bag and books before slamming the driver door closed. Dragging my feet, I slowly walked up to the door and put my lone key in the lock.

Turning the key and pushing the door, I dumped my stuff on the floor and called out to my mom. After receiving no answer, I went to look for her, I checked in the kitchen – nothing. I walked through and into the lounge.

‘SURPRISE!’ my mom and Eva shouted.

‘Guys, I told you we didn’t have to do anything,’ I protested.

‘Of course we did Jessie, it’s your 17th birthday!’ my mom said.

Around an hour later, the three of us were seated around the dining room table and a small pile of presents and cards had been placed in front of me. I opened card after card, present after present. Each from family members that couldn’t even remember my name at family functions, yet they still felt compelled to send me a ‘birthday wish’; I didn’t get it.

The pile got smaller and smaller, until finally, I got to the last present. ‘To Jessica, love from Gran,’ the tag read.

I tore the sparkly pink paper and a letter fell out, along with a purple sweater. I folded the sweater before reading the letter.

Hello,
You have been nominated to take part in the modelling experience workshop. It’s a day to live the life of a model a once in a lifetime experience.

Your workshop will take place on Saturday 20th April. Further details will be sent to you closer to the date.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Wink Models


Mouth agape, I looked at my mom, who was smiling down at me expectantly.

‘What do you think hon?’ she asked.

‘Um… do I have to do it?’

‘I think you should, your Gran would really love it if you could do it.’ She encouraged.

‘Mom, you know I hate having my picture taken.’ I whined.

‘Jessica Adrienne Rousseau,’ her thick French accent shining through. ‘You are doing this. Your grandmother paid good money for this and I’m not going to let you waste it,’ my mom said sternly. I knew better than to argue, she had this way of turning your words around and then using them against you, its definitely not fun to be on the receiving end of, let me tell you!

‘Okay fine, when is it again?’ I sighed, defeated. My mom scanned the letter once more before saying,

‘It’s this Saturday,’ a smug smile plastered across her face.

‘This Saturday?!’ I asked, wondering if she read the wrong date. She passed me the letter and it did in fact, say that the workshop was on the Saturday.

‘I’m so happy that you’re going!’ my mom squealed, while my sister looked at me
sympathetically. She knew how much I hated having my picture taken.

Over the next two days, my mom got more and more excited about the whole modelling thing. While she did, I got more and more worried. Standing in front of a camera, which emphasises every spot, every blemish and makes seem one hundred times worse. Fun? I think not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait! I hope you like it, the next one will be longer than this (hopefully!)

Dedicated to get-unique. You have Emma to thank that I updated!

xx

Lola