Wake Me up Inside

Part One

You wake up and look around you; mentally you can imagine Luna Lovegood sitting at a table somewhere talking with her father. You sigh and get out of bed; you would be going back to Hogwarts today and starting your 6th year.

You had packed your trunk the night before so all you had to do was shower, get dressed and have breakfast before you would be leaving. You walked downstairs to the kitchen and got yourself some jam on toast, you were just finishing when your foster mum came into the kitchen.

"Good morning Hope. Are you all packed?" she said with a smile. You looked back at her but you didn't smile, you couldn't.

"Yeah I've just got to shower and get dressed." you replied in your naturally quiet voice.

She nodded while making her coffee and you ran upstairs back to your room to get your clothes before you entered the bathroom. You washed your hair and blow dried it then you got changed into some black shorts, a plain purple t-shirt and some ballet flats.

As usual your hair was down and covering your face. When you got downstairs your foster dad was waiting to take you to the station on his way to work as he always did. He rose his wand, (you foster mum was the muggle of the family) and said, "Locomotor trunk!"

Your trunk flew down the stairs, into the garage and settled itself quite comfortably in the backseat of the car. You said goodbye to your foster mum and got into the front seat of the car.

When your foster dad got into the drivers seat you put on your seatbelt and waited for the usual pre-term pep talk, you see your foster dad coached a small town quidditch team so he liked giving pep talks and you were the usual target. However this year the 15 minute drive was spent in silence.

At the station your foster dad walked you to the barrier and said his goodbyes, when he was gone you walked calmly through the barrier with your trunk and got onto the Hogwarts Express.

Most people were still saying goodbye to their parents so it wasnt hard to find an empty compartment, you walked into one and sat down, staring out the window. As you watched you saw many different people arrive and parents leave.

Among the people to arrive were Luna, she came and joined you in your compartment, the Weasley's, the Malfoy's, Hermione Granger and Harry Potter who was accompanied by a large black dog.

"Hello Hope, did you do anything interesting on your holidays?" Luna asked in a dreamy voice as she entered.

"No, not really." You answered; you didn't ask her in return because you really didn't want to hear about all the fun things she had done with her father.

Luna was two years younger than you but she was the closest thing to a friend you had. Luna smiled at you and got out a magazine called the Quibbler which she proceeded to read upside down. You reached into the bag with your robes in it and got out a book which you started to read.

Over the next few minutes the train got louder and louder until when the whistle blew you could hardly concentrate on your book anymore. After a few more minutes everyone settled down with their friends and the train took on the usual quiet buzz of hundreds of little conversations that were going on.

Suddenly you could hear one conversation over all the rest.

"I wonder if that Corin girl is still here. I hope not, she was weird." It was a boy speaking, he was just outside the door and you new the voice, it was Ron Weasley.

You looked up at Luna who was looking at you with a mixture of concern and sympathy written on her face, you just shrugged and went back to reading.

"Ronald! Be quiet; don't pick on her just because she's a little bit different." That was Hermione Granger; you'd know that voice anywhere.

The compartment door opened, "But seriously Hermione, she doesn't smile she doesn't---" Ron stopped mid sentence, you guessed that he'd looked up and seen that you were sitting right in front of him.

You looked up at them and Hermione blushed, "Sorry to interrupt but can we sit here everywhere is full?" she said.

"I don't mind." You said quietly.

Ron and Hermione, closely followed by Harry Potter, entered the compartment and sat down. Ron ended up across from you and he leaned in with his elbows on his knees.

"Hey, uh Hope is it? I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't mean it." He said.

Everyone in the compartment looked up to see what you'd say in return. You stared at Ron for a second before lowering your eyes again and replying in your usual quiet voice.

"You did mean it, and you were right. I am weird, I don't smile, I don't laugh and this is probably the most you've ever heard me say at one time. Excuse me I have to go and change into my robes before the changing rooms get too full." You walked out of the compartment with your hair over your face and your bag in your hand.

You were crying, you hated that people thought of you this way when they didn't know anything about you, Ron had hardly known your name.

You brought your free hand up to your neck and grasped the locket hanging there. Your parents, you missed them so much. The tears were falling so quickly now that they were blurring your vision; suddenly a foot came out of nowhere and tripped you up.

As you fell you heard shrieks of laughter coming from behind you, you recognised one laugh as Cho Chang's. You hit your head on a door handle of a compartment and hit the floor unconscious.