Expectations

Chapter Twelve: Ellen & Reality

Image

My birthday was two days away. Actually, it wasn’t big deal for me. People tended to forget it every year, even my lovely workaholic parents. I was trying to ignore the date completely by concentrating like never before on my schoolwork. I got the first straight A test period of my life, everyone started to think I had become another disturbing geek, or that maybe I had been strongly influenced by my best friend, Gina, on the last two weeks.

I talked with Robert every day, mostly on evenings. He had remembered how to be himself again. I liked that. I had discovered many aspects that we had in common, and I learned that the answers that he had given me before about his life in general were not entirely true. He had had only one relationship. I couldn’t stop laughing when he told me who had been.

“You remember the girl that played Cho Chang on Harry Potter?”

Ha!

He lived on a house at downtown London, rather than at a humongous apartment. He owned a lovely white terrier and was amazingly unhappy living at Los Angeles.

We were now sitting together silently watching The Ellen DeGeneres Show. His arms were crossed against his chest and he chuckled now and then at the random comments. Ellen was interviewing Pete Wentz and Ashlee Simpson, who carried their newborn baby. I was thrilled. I have had a huge crush on Wentz since I can remember, and watching that overwhelming smile across his face made me sigh in happiness.

James climbed the stairs suddenly, and yawned noisily as he approached the couch. “What’s up guys? I’m wrecked… could you make some room for me please?.” he curled next to me and immediately groaned, “Oh bullshit, I’m not watching that crappy show, there’s a football match on ESPN” he searched for the remote.

“You wish!” I held the remote safely between my hands as Robert and I threw defiant looks at my brother.

“When Ellen’s on, there’s nothing more to watch, you understand?” Rob said.

Oh yes. I chortled and hugged him tightly.