Ice Cold

Un

"Mary! You should not be doing this!"

"I can do what I wish to Rebecca!" The young woman insisted, sticking her tongue hout at her companion.

"Wa are not children anymore Mary, we should not act as though we are." She insisted as her friend threw her two long blond plaits over her shoulders as she stepped forward onto the first stepping stone over the wide rushing river, gathering up her skirts to stop them getting wet and dragging her down into the depths of the filthy body of rushing water.

"Stop being such a yellow belly Rebecca, no-one will know and we shall be back before anyone has even realised that we are gone!" The pretty blond, ary called over her shoulder to her friend on the river bank. "If you do not come then I shall tell your mother about your sneaking off with that village boy."

"I never did anything!" The brunette protested but her friend simply gave her a triumphant smirk.

"Of course not..." She laughed, "Now are you coming or not?"

Rebecca stamped her foot in frustration before giving a sigh and gathering her skirts up and taing to the stepping stones.

Half way over the river she stopped and bit her lip as her friend mocked, jeered and beckoned her from the bank.

"Mary!" She called, "The river's running awful fast, I think it's swelled after the thunderstorm last night."

"So?" The blond laughed.

"I can't swim."

"Don't worry, if you fall in, I shall save you."

"Of course you will..." She muttered under her breath before calling out once again in a loud voice, "Mary! I think I'm going to go back."

"Why?!" She demanded, still laughing, "You're already half way across."

"Yes but... I know that that half is safe."

"Rebecca." Mary warned, "If you even think about heading back I shall come over there and drag you here myself."

"Don't be stupid." The womans smiled and turned around to head back to shore. Of course, Mary, being slightly younger and much more confident had absolutely no problems with catching her friend up as she tried to head back to the river bank, the more exhuberant girl laughed as the wind caught her long blond tresses and whirled it into the air.

"Mary let me go!" Rebecca demanded trying desperately to tug her wrist from her friend's grasp, "Mary please, let go!"

But Mary didn't let go, the water seemed to have risen since the last time Rebecca had looked, it was splashing over their leather boot clad feet, making the rock slippery.

"Mary! Let go!" The now terrified brunette screamed at her but it was too late.

The wind caught the girls' skirts and they were both blown into the water.

Little did they know that not half a mile down the river, a quick journey for the rushing river, there was one of the biggest water falls in the world. Niagra falls.

And the current was going too fast for either of the girls to be able to swim to safety.