The Face of Beauty to Fall For

If I Was Perfect, Then This Would Be Easy

{Elizabeth’s POV}

We couldn’t settle down after we’d made sure the pieces of Bella and James had been completely burned away and doused the fire. Not knowing that Ember was dead.

“You should sit down, Liz.” Zachary told me, walking over and hugging me.

I shrugged away from him. “I can’t.” I told him, glad I couldn’t cry. I hated crying in front of people when I was human and that fact still remained through my immortal life.

“Elizabeth, please,” Esme started, looking up at me, “we’re all upset. Your pacing isn’t calming us. Please sit down.” She requested.

I sighed and sat on Zachary’s lap on the couch, looking at everyone. “Shouldn’t someone go get Edward from upstairs? And Carlisle should be back by now.” I said.

“Elizabeth…” Alice said, looking at me with a sorrowful expression. “Give him time.”

I stood again. “Why didn’t they just turn her? This isn’t fair. She was our friend. Why couldn’t we make her one of us?” I asked angrily.

“Because.” Rosalie snapped. “We were protecting her from that. Just like Alice’s vision warned us. We were to keep her from becoming like us.”

“Not by letting her die!” I shouted.

Alice gasped softly, gazing off into space. “She’s--”

Carlisle walked in before Alice could finish her sentence. “Yes, Alice.” He said, looking more tired than usual. “She’s alive.”

I looked at him like he was crazy. “What?”

“She had a heartbeat, Edward was wrong. I got her to the hospital and we got her breathing again.” He explained. “She had to have surgery to repair her damaged esophagus, but she’s okay for the moment.”

“What do you mean ‘for the moment’, Carlisle?” Emmett asked him.

“She was oxygen deprived for a long time… She’s in a coma and we don’t know how much damage there was to her brain.” He told us. “Where’s Edward?”

I nodded to the stairs and stood to follow him. “He locked himself in his room. I tried to get him to think of other things, but he wasn’t having any of it.”

He nodded in weary acknowledgement and started up the stairs at an almost human pace. I assumed it was to give Edward time to hear his thoughts and prepare himself.

Jasper looked up at the stairs and stood. “Something’s wrong.” He said, obviously having felt a wave of emotion from upstairs.

We all stood and made for Edward’s room.

“What’s wrong, Carlisle?” Esme asked, walking in first.

“Edward’s gone.” He told us plainly.

{Edward’s POV}

I didn’t want to think about it anymore. My love for Bella had been her death, and the same was true for Ember. I couldn’t live with that fact. They had died at the hand of my enemy because I had been too cowardly to do anything about it.

I sat in my room and thought this over, looking at the boxes of my accumulated belongings that I had yet to unpack and shook my head.

In an instant I had made up my mind, and standing, I walked to my window and slipped out.

I took to the forest surrounding our home and took off in no particular direction. Pausing, I turned, needing to say goodbye. I walked to the smouldering pile of ash, gazing down at it for a long moment and turned, going into the garage for the last time.

I took in the sight of Ember’s unfinished project, smiling a little at the memories of her hatred towards me, and the love that she didn’t want me to know she had for me. And I knelt beside the cold concrete where she had taken her last breath, tracing the invisible outline of her face as last I remembered it. “I’m sorry.” I whispered into the nothingness, hoping her soul lingered just a few moments longer to hear my apology. “Had I known…” I took a steadying breath. “If my thoughts hadn’t been clouded by Bella… I would’ve seen him. I could’ve saved you.” I said, closing my eyes tightly. “I love you, Ember Travers. And I hope that you will forgive me for not protecting you.”

I stood, still holding her bracelet in my hand, and took off again.

I paid for a car in cash somewhere around Portland and started off for the last place they would ever think to look for me.

{Elizabeth’s POV}

“What do we do?” Emmett asked, looking around at us.

We had all gone back down to the living room to come up with a plan.

Carlisle sat in silence, his distant eyes conveying that he was thinking of anywhere and everywhere Edward could’ve gone.

“We search.” Zachary spoke up.

Carlisle nodded, coming back to us. “Rosalie, you will go to Alaska. Jasper, you will go to Forks. Zachary, you will go to Los Angeles. Elizabeth, Chicago. Alice, Volterra. Emmett, Antarctica…” He commanded.

“And you and Esme?” I asked, standing.

“Everywhere else.” He said simply.

“And who’s gonna stay with Ember?” Alice spoke up, looking at him.

He looked at Esme, who nodded in agreement. “That’s settled then. Keep your phones on you at all times.” He commanded.

We all agreed to and took off with hugs and kisses to our respective husbands/wives and hugs to our brothers/sisters.