The Face of Beauty to Fall For

I Won't Be A Victim

I stood with Edward holding me around the waist, supporting most of my weight. “I think you’re just doing this so I’ll hold you.” He told me, smirking a little as we rounded a corner of the hallway in the hospital.

I rolled my eyes. “Yes. I’m faking this, because I want you to sweep me off my feet and carry me around forever.” I sighed overdramatically and went limp in his hands so that he would hold me up like I’d just swooned. “Save me, Edward Cullen! Save me!” I said laughing.

He chuckled and helped me to stand on my own. “You’re such a child.” He teased, turning to face me and taking my hands. “Now try to walk on your own.”

I held his hands tightly and took a small step, then another. “My legs feel funny.” I told him, willing my legs to stop shaking.

He sighed and scooped me up bridal-style, and carried me the rest of the way to my room. “I told you that a lap around the floor wasn’t good for you yet.” He scolded, laying me down on the bed.

“Yeah, yeah. Save it for someone who cares.” I muttered, batting his hands away from pulling my blanket up over my legs again.

He sighed in exasperation this time and fell into the chair next to the bed. “You’re so difficult.”

I grinned. “Yes, but you’re the one who fell in love with me first.” I teased.

“I did not!” He said, looking affronted.

I leaned over and kissed him sweetly. “Shut up. I swear, for someone a thousand, you really are more whiny than I am.”

He scowled and crossed his arms, leaning away from me. “I am not a thousand.”

I smirked and leaned over, grabbing my book from the nightstand and flipping through it. “I still want to know why Rosalie got me this baby name book.”

He stared out the window. “She still hasn’t forgotten that you owe her your first born child.”

I gaped at him. “That was a joke.”

He turned his gaze to me. “The one thing Rosalie wants most in this world is a child. You shouldn’t have bet it if you weren’t going to, for lack of a better word, deliver.”

I sat up and beckoned him over, moving over slightly so that he could sit next to me. “Or is it you want a baby with me?” I teased.

He shook his head. “We can’t have children.”

“What? Do you mean physically or is there some rule against it?” I questioned.

He shrugged a little, pulling me into an embrace. “I don’t think there has ever been a vampire child. It’d be best to not test it.”

I frowned a little, leaning against him.

He looked down at me. “It doesn’t matter how cute you think our children will be. It wouldn’t be wise.”

I smacked him. “Don’t read my thoughts!”

“Yeah, Cullen. Don’t read her thoughts. No telling what sort of emotional scarring you’ll get from them.” Elizabeth stated, walking in and sitting in one of the chairs.

I stuck my tongue out at her. “Just because you’re jealous of me, doesn’t mean you can be rude.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yes, I’m so jealous I can barely contain myself. I’m not about to be an incubator for a stranger’s offspring.”

I glared at her. “I will be having no one’s child.”

“But Cullen’s.” She said with an evil smile.

“No!” Edward and I said together, smirking a little.

She rolled her eyes again. “Wow. You can stop that at any time.”

“Stop what?” I asked.

“That whole talking together thing you and Cullen keep doing.” He explained, tossing the pencil at Emmett as he walked in.

“You know… there are several Cullens in your family, why call Edward ‘Cullen’?” I questioned, passing Edward the book.

Emmett looked at me and then grabbed the TV remote.

She shrugged. “He was the first one I’d met.”

I nodded in understanding. “That makes sense.” I said, smacking Emmett and changing the channel.

He frowned and looked at me. “I was watching that.”

I laughed. “It was America‘s Next Top Model.”

He smiled. “Don’t judge me.” He stated, turning it back.

“Where is she?!” A voice screamed.

“S-She’s in there.” One of the mild-mannered nurses said.

“Ember Marie Travers!” I heard, seeing my friend storm into the room hell bent on finding me. “You!” She yelled, pointing at Edward, who took my hand.

“Say--” I started.

“No. Don’t take up for him. He tried to kill you!” She screamed.

I sat up. “No. He didn’t. He saved my life.” I told her angrily.

She scoffed. “Yeah. Right. He leaves you to die in a hospital and runs off. That’s real saving.” She said harshly.

I opened my mouth to say something, but Edward was up and in front of Salym before I could form a word. “As you can see she isn’t dead and I’m back.” He said dangerously. “You should leave.”

She crossed her arms over her chest and put the weight on her back foot. “I’ll stay, thanks. Like it or not she was my friend way before she was ever yours to snack on.”

I stood. “Hey!” I barked. “No one is snacking on me. They’re my friends just like you are. If you don’t like that you’re free to leave. If you want to stay you can.” I told her.

Edward glared at her but walked over and caught me before I fell. “Are you alright?” He asked, helping me back into bed.

I nodded. “Yeah. It’s progress, right?”

Salym looked at us. “What’s wrong?” She asked.

“Besides the smell of wet dog filling the room?” Elizabeth chimed in, making a face at the smell that wasn’t there.

“It’s better than smelling like being doused in sugar water.” She retorted, walking over to me. “What’s wrong, Ember?”

I looked at her and sighed. “When the guy who crushed my windpipe was cutting off my air, he left my brain oxygen deprived and I lost the ability to walk. It’s only temporary. I just have to relearn.” I told her. “And you two need to stop it and be friends.” I said, looking at both Salym and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth scoffed. “Yeah. That’s gonna happen. I can’t be friends with a mangy mutt.”

Salym glared at her. “I could kill you without a thought.”

“Try it, pup.” She said, standing up.

Salym made to stand and Edward stood between them. “This isn’t about you two. Ember’s still hurt and you two don’t need to make this any harder on her. Now stop. Elizabeth, Emmett, I think we should go.” He said.

I looked at him, then away.

“We’ll be back. Don’t be upset. We just won’t be able to get along.” He told me, kissing my cheek softly.

I shrugged. “Don’t read my thoughts.”

“Oh. This is making me sick.” Salym said, looking actually physically sick.

I rolled my eyes and kissed Edward before he and his family walked out. “Don’t make fun. I’m happy.”

She made a face. “How could you love him? He’s a creature.”

I crossed my arms over my chest. “You are too, Say.”

She looked shocked. “What?”

“You’re a werewolf, aren’t you?” I questioned.

“How did you know that?” She asked, gaping a little.

I shrugged again. “I just do.” I sighed. “Say… You’re my best friend. I love you like a sister. But they’re also my friends. And I love them too. You have to get along with them. Or at least try. For my sake.”

She made a face again. “You love them, or you love him?”

“Both.” I answered simply, turning the TV off. “I want all of you around. Especially if I birth a child.”

“You’re pregnant by that thing?!” She cried.

“No! Jesus, no. I’m thinking of being a surrogate mother for Rosalie.” I explained quickly.

“Which one is that?”

I laughed. “The tall blonde.”

“Oh. Why?” The look on her face told me she thought I was nuts.

“Because she can’t have her own and I owe her and Emmett that. All of them, to be honest.”

“Would you do the same for me?” She wondered aloud.

I looked down at my hands. “You know I would.”

She shook her head so violently it made me look up. “No you wouldn’t! You would never even think of having a child if they didn’t ask it of you.”

I stared at her in awe. “Things change, Say.”

She held up a hand. “I don’t want to hear anymore of your bullshit. You… are no friend of mine. You can’t be as long as you’re one of them.”

“I’m not--”

“Save it, Travers. You’re more one of them than you think. You’re practically begging them to bite you. You make me sick.” She said, walking out without another word.

I stared at the doorway for several long moments before I started to cry.

“Shh… Em… Don’t cry.” A soft voice whispered in my ear, holding me close to them.

I clung to him and sobbed. “I wish I never met any of you.” I said through the tears.

His movements stopped and he looked at me. “What?”

I looked up, my eyes still brimming with tears. “I don’t want to see any of you ever again. Leave me alone.” I said, pushing Edward away and hiding under the blankets.