The Face of Beauty to Fall For

Yeah, You've Been Alone

Gym sucked. Well, it sucked less than usual because we played baseball, but it was bad.

I'll explain.

Elizabeth and Emmett, because they were new, didn't have to dress out with the rest of us.

And I, being the starting pitcher for our school's male varsity team, was subjected to being pitcher and batter for both teams to make it fair.
It was also good that Edward wasn't in this particular class, although it didn't really stop me from thinking of him. I totally blame Elizabeth for that. I don't know how, but I'm sure it was her fault.

At the end of the class, I had knocked the wind out of two girls I didn't like, and cursed out the boy playing catcher.

"How did you manage only one day of suspension?" Elizabeth asked, heading to Italian with me, while Emmett headed in a different direction, after congratulating me on a good game.

"The principal was my gymnastics coach until she got promoted. " I explained, sitting at one of the tables.

"Jasper's my Italian partner!" She shouted suddenly, tagging him as he passed through the door.

And then I found out why: Edward was in this class as well, and everyone else was paired off.

I gave Elizabeth and extremely nasty look and pulled my Italian book from my bag, muttering profanities under my breath.

"I thought I said to stay away from my family." He stated irritably.

"I fail to see how it's any of your business who I hang out with, Cullen." I told him.

He muttered a profanity in Italian.

I opened my mouth to say something to him, but luckily the teacher asked me to say a phrase.

"Mi spiace, ma Io non penso." I recited, turning to Elizabeth.

"You really are evil." I muttered, to which I recieved a smile.

"You know you like him." She whispered.

He must've heard her, because he stood, pulled my chair to where his used to be, and proceeded to separate us with his person.

"Great." I muttered, "Now I'm stuck with no way to vent my frustration."

He made a noise low in his throat that sounded like a growl and traded places with Jasper for the day.

"Sorry about him." He apologized. "He has a lot of issues he needs to work out." He told me, smiling.

I blushed slightly at his smile, damn stupid teenage hormones, and nodded. "Is he gay?"

That simple question made Elizabeth snicker, and she was nearly pushed off her chair by Edward.

She glared and swung at him, the other dodging the blow.

He stood quickly to continue the fight, his eyes narrowed dangerously in an unspoken challenge.

"Edward and Elizabeth Cullen! Principal's office! Now!" Mrs. Campenelli barked, pointing to the door.

Elizabeth glared at her brother, "We'll finish this at home, Cullen." She told him dangerously, shoving him and walking out of the room.

I looked at Jasper. "He's a very hostile person." I stated.

He nodded in agreement, "It was better for those two to fight than you and him." He said matter-of-factly.

"I could've taken him." I said simply, smiling a bit.

He smirked a little and said nothing more on the subject.

Jasper and I sat the rest of the class in silence, standing and saying our goodbyes once the bell had rung.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I told him, heading in the direction of my last class of the day.

I stopped and turned to face him. "Are you following me?" I questioned, sort of annoyed and flustered at the same time.

"No." He told me simply. "My class is this direction." He explained, passing by me.

I walked with him, "What class do you have?"

"Room 114. Study Hall with Ms. Davis."

"I really am starting to think your family's stalking me." I joked.

"Yes. We're a bunch of devil worshippers and you're going to be our sacrifice to the Dark One." Emmett supplied, setting his books on a desk next to a pretty blonde girl.

I laughed, sitting in a desk in the back.

"What are you doing back there?' Elizabeth asked from her seat next to her older brother.

"I figured your family would want a break from me." I said, shrugging.

"We do." Edward snipped, sulking in a corner.

I rolled my eyes and ignored him. "Oh! Elizabeth. What happened with the principal?"

She shrugged, "We got one day suspension for almost fighting."

Edward's expression got even more sour, if that were possible.

"Carlisle won't be too happy, but luckily I'm staying with my new friend, Ember, tonight and tomorrow, so I don't have to incur his wrath." She added.

I looked up from my foreign language homework. "I'm sorry?" I asked, confused.

"See, Liz. You can't invite yourself to people's houses." A boy told her. "It's rude."

"Well, Zachary," She started. "I would rather not have to share a house with Cullen." She let him know.

I spoke up, "I don't have a problem with it. My dad's staying in the barracks on base, so it'd be lonely in the house anyway."

Zachary looked at her, his eyes converying both love and concern. "What about your impulse problem?' He asked, so softly I barely heard it.

"As long as she has no open wounds, I won't have an issue. Plus, you can check on me whenever you want." She said, kising his cheek.

I smiled at them. "Have you two been together long?"

She smirked, "Seems like a lifetime."

He smiled, "And it will be another lifetime, and another." He said, pulling her into his lap.

"Zachary Baker, I am not one of those women, now let me go." She commanded, making no attempt to remove herself from his lap.

"What are you gonna do? Hit me?" He teased, smirking.

She scowled. "Shut up."

I shook my head at them and went back to my homework, waiting for the bell to ring as I continued to listen to their playful banter.