Carpe Obscurum

Chapter Four

The beginning of my ninth year, I was taken under the wing of Plague. He assured me that my pain would be lessened under his command.

Plague’s prey, were evildoers. Men, who would harm the innocent to prove nothing but sheer dominance over the others.

Though the pain was not as intense as the 10,000 souls I had milling around inside of me from my time with Vengeance and Christ, I still felt pain. Though I was not fearful of it this time.

I still laid on the floor of the new bedroom I was given, though there was a mattress off to one side of the room.

“This one is nicer than the other two, isn’t he?” He asked.

I looked over at him, “He is. He actually gave me a bed, and food.” I said, my body aching from the weight of the souls I was carrying.

He sat next to me, wrapping his arms around me tightly. “I wish I could take this burden from you.” He whispered.

I wrapped my arms around him, my face pressed against his chest, soothed by his heartbeat against my ear. “It is not your burden, Gabriel. I chose this, I will carry it.”

“Though, if it were not for me, you would not be in this.” He said, referring back to the night he had gotten me to sign the contract.

I smiled, something I had been doing less and less of in my years of servitude. “You forget, my angel, that it was I who was corrupted by death. I would have been taken into Hell regardless.”

He looked at me. “There were ways to save your soul, Emily. I chose to have you sign that contract for my own selfish reasons.” He told me.

“What?” I asked, a brief flicker of anger showing behind my eyes, the calm blue green flashing golden with fire.

“I could have saved your soul that night, but I knew that if I did, then I would be bound to earth for all eternity. I have watched over you since you were told of your gift. I was the one who corrupted you with the lust for death. All of this was my doing.” He admitted to me.

I pulled from his embrace, standing and backing away from him. “I am to bring about the end of days because of you?!” I cried, my eyes glowing red in my anger.

He stood as well, “I did it for love, Emily.” He said calmly.

I shook my head, my hands clenched into fists at my side. “No! You don’t know love! You hide behind your charm and gentle nature, but you are worse than The Five!” I screamed, hot tears sliding from my cheeks, the fires of Hell and the souls of corrupted innocence making my skin hot enough to evaporate them.

“Emily, please--”

“No! Get out of here! Just… leave me alone! You are no angel of mine!”

And then I saw it, a brief glance at his face in the light coming from a passing car. I had never once seen pain as great as what I had seen in his perfect features. “Then I will leave you.. Princess.” He said, walking into the darkness.

I fell onto the bed, the full weight of every wrong deed that I had done since my birth bearing down on me until I could no longer take in the unneeded breaths that made me feel the least bit human.