Carpe Obscurum

Chapter Five

The thirteenth year I was traded to the Fourth. Thirteen… The unlucky number… For I was given to Gates. Gates took the mortal corrupters. Women who sold their flesh to the highest bidder.

I looked at him with the most hatred I could manage, not even plagued with the pain of the innocence of the children held within the women that they, themselves knew nothing of.

I walked into the apartment that my new captor lived in, turning on him as soon as the door was shut. “You LIED to me!” I screamed, rage showing in my eyes again. “You said you were my guardian and now you turn out to be one of The Five!”

He looked at me calmly, “I never said I wasn’t, Cain. You should have asked.”

“Don’t play angel with me, Gabriel! You made me-- I bear 15,001 souls, all of which I can hear inside my head at this very moment, all because of you!” I said, glaring at him.

In an instant, he had me pinned against the wall, his anger showing in his eyes. “Yes. I did it. I admitted that to you four years ago, and you condemned me for it.” He whispered darkly, his chocolate brown eyes boring into my own, black ones. “So don’t throw it back in my face, I’m aware of what I’ve done.”

I just glared at him, unable to think of anything to say at first, “You’ve taken me away from my purpose and my family to satisfy something you claim to be love.” I said, my voice even.

“How would you know it isn’t, Cain? I’ve done nothing but watch over you. I’ve taken your burdens along with my own, though you may not know it. I, as an angel, am corrupted by love, and am condemned by it, but fine, condemn me more for my selfishness.” He said, pushing away from the wall and heading for his bedroom.

“What do you mean, corrupted by love?”

He turned, “You were once an angel, as are all mortals. We serve our time on earth and then return to Heaven. Those born with gifts are angels that have been shown love, but are not yet corrupted by it. You, your mother, her mother, the entire line of your family were angels. That is why the gift is given to the next in the line when you find true love. When you find the mortal soul of the angel who had shown you love in Heaven, you are restored to your original purpose.” He explained, walking back into the living room. “I, however, was an archangel, and I had fallen in love with you. So you were sent to be your mother’s child, and I was sent here, since I could not be sent into a mortal body. I couldn’t let your soul burn in the fires as a fallen angel because of what I had done, so instead of saving your soul like I should have, I gave into my selfishness and had you sign the contract of Hell.” He said, moving closer so that I was pressed against the wall again. “I would rather you be tainted by Satan than have my love burn.” He whispered softly.

I looked into his eyes, the blackness of mine from the burden I bared turning into the blue that they had originally been. “Gabriel…” I whispered, reaching up to touch his face. “Why live this lie? If you would have told me this four years ago, I wouldn’t have held such harsh feelings towards you.” I whispered. “I love you, I have since the night you came to me when I worked under Vengeance.”

He smiled, “And I have loved you since the beginning of time, princess.” He said, his lips joining with mine in the most perfect, passionate kiss the world had ever witnessed.