Carpe Obscurum

Chapter Six

The sixteenth year of my sentence was approaching quickly, too quickly for Gabriel and I. I knew that he would never let harm come to me, though he could not come to me when I was working for The Fifth. He explained that I would bare the most corrupted souls I could. I was not shown those who I was to take into me, I was simply supposed to take as many. I was to be given my gift back, in a sense.

“Gabriel… I don’t want this anymore.” I said, the date when I was to be traded quickly approaching.

“It will be okay, my love. Nothing can happen to you in these last four years. Just do as he says and everything will be fine.” He told me, kissing the top of my head.

“I can’t… I’ve spent four years with you, and I can’t… I just can’t!” I said, jumping from the couch.

“You can. Emily, please… If you don’t do this, then they will kill us both. It would be worse than one of The Five taking you into their bed.” He told me.

I looked at him, “What if you were?”

His eyes widened and he shook his head, “No… Emily, no. That would be insanity. It would never happen.” He said, slightly panicked.

“And why not?”

“Because… They’d know.” He said, looking around.

I walked over to him, “I don’t give a damn! You would have the power of the souls I carry. You would be able to join God for the War, and everything would be--”

“No! You don’t understand, Cain! If I were to take the souls, you would die.”

“Why is that?”

“Because, they would kill you. Your soul belongs to them until the night of your 45th mortal birthday. The night Satan takes you into his bed. You would burn in the fires for destroying the contract you signed in blood.”

I looked at him, “I would rather burn than be forced to carry more souls!” I exclaimed. “I cannot do this anymore, Gabriel!”

“I--”

“I don’t give a damn!” I said, pulling him into a deep kiss.

He kissed back desperately, his arms wrapping around me to pull me closer, just as a stifling heat surrounded us.

“You’re coming with us, you whore!” A voice said, his eyes narrowed angrily at Gabriel.

“No! Shadows, it’s not her time!” He cried, struggling against the others that held him.

“That isn’t your choice, Gates. You were to take her, and we’ve put a stop to it.” Shadows said, holding my arm tightly.

“You don’t know what you’re doing!” He said, fading from sight along with those that held him.

“You’re going to burn for your heresy!” Shadows said.

“No!” I screamed, reaching out for him. “Gabriel, no!” I said, almost making it to his outstretched hand before he faded completely. I turned to Shadows, punching at him with everything I could gather. “You monster! You demon! How could you do that to him?!”

He grabbed my wrists, holding tightly. “Listen here, you whore. You are to do what I say, when I say, understand? Gates is no concern of yours, he’s to pay his debts, same as you.”
He flamed us to the apartment he was living in, throwing me into the room given to me, locking the door in various means. “I’ll collect you when you realize that you are just a pawn in this great plan.” He said through the door.

I fell onto the floor, the room once again unfurnished, and sobbed. This time, however, Gabriel didn’t come to comfort me.