Nuclear America

The beginning of the end

As I walked out to my bus stop, I thought that this was just another normal day, nothing interesting to happen. I was wrong. I waited at my stop for the bus to come and after a few minutes it did. I got on, but my preferred seat was already taken, as usual, so I sat in the front seat. Manan sat next to me and the bus drove up to the school. We waited there for another few minutes until we were let out. I could see in the distance the very new nuclear power plant that the government decided to install for our town. I walked in our double doors, went to my locker, and shoved my backpack in it. Then I walked to Mrs. Hyla, our homeroom and math teacher’s, room. Joey was already there, so I sat in my normal seat, two away from him. I put my book down on the desk and went to my friends’ homeroom, Mrs. Graber’s. Sean, Sienna, Devin, Ollie, and Joe were in that room, and they were some of my good friends. Everyone but Sienna was sitting together at one table, so I walked up and said hi. We talked for a few minutes until the bell rang and I went back to Mrs. Hyla’s for announcements.
When I came back, Rebecca, who was another friend and sat next to me, was now there. I said hi to her too and carried on with the rest of my day. The rest of the day was boring as usual. We worked on problems that I already knew in math, took notes in history and science, and worked on journals in English. The only real fun thing was gym, in which we had been doing rollerblading, which, in spite of my falling every class, I enjoy very much. After all the classes were over and we were standing near my locker was when it happened. There was a sudden flash and I heard a boom, but then everything went white and I felt my body falling to the floor. I was unconscious before I felt the impact.