Nuclear America

Aftermath of the battle

I woke some time later, and the plants felt brittle. I ripped my arms free of the plants and they fell to the ground. I tore off the rest of the plants, fearing that they would come to life right at my feet. After I came to my senses, I looked to my opponent; Jenny was on the ground, blood pouring out of her chest. She was unconscious, and the rest of her clan was nowhere to be found. I didn’t know what to do. She would probably try to kill me and the rest of the group if I dragged her back, but I couldn’t just leave her there to die. I decided to take her back to the group, hoping they would understand the circumstances.
When I arrived, I didn’t find the rest of the group waiting for me back where they had been. There wasn’t even a note for me. I looked around the house, and after I had found absolutely no one, went back to where Jenny was. She was now sitting cross-legged on the grass, obviously waiting for me. I hesitantly approached her, and then she spoke. “So, now that my team is gone and I’m wounded, I figure that you’re going to kill me and go on with your own group, right?” I was as stunned at her third comment as I had been at the first two, and wondered why she was so sure that I was going to kill her.
“I really don’t want to kill you, and my group is gone as well. I don’t know what to do.”
“Well for starters, you could do your best to patch up this wound.”
“And why would I do that? You tried to kill me!”
“Alright – I promise not to do anything to you if you patch up the wound and don’t do anything to me.”
“Alright, but can you tell me what happened?” I still hadn’t figured out what had transpired. She explained that once I had been engulfed in the plants, my group had come out, astonished, and attacked them. After about half an hour of fighting, the rest of Jenny’s group that I had knocked out had got back up and joined in on the fighting. After an all-out fight with all of their members conscious, another battalion of men had come in and started attacking members of both sides. She was one of the first to be shot, and Gunshin ran over to her and explained his plan. With both sides suffering wounds, her and my group had both retreated in different directions. The majority of the battalion had followed Jenny’s group, and they left her to live while they drew away the men. My group had wanted to take me with them, but I would have been too much dead weight and they couldn’t have gotten the plants off in time. Tears were spilt, but I had to be left here.
I took in this story, and we decided that her and me should stay together and set off in a direction and try to find one of our groups. We went back to the house and I disinfected her wound and bandaged it up. After some arguments, we went in the direction opposite the house. She believed that was where her group had gone and I wanted to reunite her with the rest of her group as soon as possible so that I could find and rejoin my own. After about half a day’s walk, Jenny collapsed on the ground, clutching her chest. I realized that she couldn’t go on as a normal person, so we had to stop and rest for now. We had to stop in the middle of nowhere and, as we hadn’t brought anything but food, lay down on the grass. She hissed and clutched her side, then rolled over onto the grass. It looked like there was nothing I could do to help her, so I turned my head to not see her in the pain she was in. Soon enough I laid down and closed my eyes.