Nuclear America

The devastating truth

I woke up; it seemed immediately after my fall, and looked around. Everyone was face down on the floor and there was a whiff of carrion. Sean, though, was bent over holding his face tightly. I walked over to see what was wrong, and tears were coming out of his eyes. He ran out, faster than he usually could have gone, and I wondered what was going on. I followed him, doing my best to keep up with him, although it was usually the other way around. He had somehow gained superior speed and as far as I knew, he wasn’t out of breath at all, the complete opposite of me. I yelled as loud as I could to him and he stopped and turned around. He was obviously happy to see me, because his eyes were wide and his hand fell from his face, revealing a look of astonishment.
“How can you be alive?” he exclaimed and I wondered about the question. Then my thoughts turned back to the school and I had an idea of what had happened. I looked around, but the nuclear plant was gone.
“Oh God.” I said and ran back to the school.
As I re-entered the school, the scent of death was much stronger now that I knew what had happened. I went back to my still opened locker and looked around. All of my friends were lying on the ground, presumably dead, but I shook them anyways. Only Sienna, Rebecca, and Manan woke up from their unconscious state like me and wondered what was going on. In a sad tone I explained to them the situation and Rebecca ran over to Joey’s “dead” body and hugged it. They had been going out for some time now, and they were extremely close. Rebecca was crying at the loss of Joey, but the rest of us kept firm even though there were hard feelings. Then, Sean returned, his hand over his mouth again. He saw the sight, and looked down, feeling sad that he couldn’t help. At that point I asked him why he had his hand like that. He told me that the smell (of death) was so strong he couldn’t stand it. None of us could smell it that much, so we wondered how his sense of smell was so good. Rebecca was still crying over Joey, until I saw something. I announced that I had seen a small movement of Joey’s hand, so Rebecca dropped him and looked for signs of movement. After a little while he started to get up, and Rebecca flung herself onto him. She kept on screaming about how she thought he was dead and that she loved him so much. Sienna leaned her head on my shoulder and I wrapped my arm around her. It was good to have Joey back and we were all happy that Rebecca wasn’t crying anymore.
Slowly, others got up and I looked at who was still alive. There was me, Sean, Sienna, Rebecca, Joey, Devin, who was somehow holing a ball of fire in his hand, Joe, Ollie, Kaizer, and Manan. I asked Devin about the fire thing and he responded with,
“I’m God.” I wasn’t convinced with this explanation, so I pursued the matter. I finally got out of him, “Okay, you know that nuclear explosion that killed everyone? Well I think that it somehow altered our DNA, and now we’re different from normal people…we have special abilities, like my fire.”
“Wow” was my only response. And then, “So how’d ya figure out that one, Sherlock?”
“Well, if I can sprout fire from my hand, that might mean something.”
“That’s true…” I responded. Then I thought that if Devin had powers, we, the living, might too. That would explain Sean’s speed and improved smell. I wondered what powers I had, but I wasn’t going to try anything. Then I exclaimed, “Joey! Run!” Joey ran out the door, even faster than Sean by many times. I was correct. Joey had acquired amazing speed. Ollie thought that Devin’s power was cool, so he tried making a fireball in his hand too. Out of his hand popped what resembled a flame, but it was blue in color and was cold. Ollie had created ice out of thin air. Suddenly, Manan burst out laughing. We all stared at him, wondering what he was thinking. He chuckled a little bit more and then said,
“It’s not what I am thinking, it is what YOU are thinking!” We wondered for a while and then realized that Manan was reading our very thoughts. We were all astounded until Ashley came up from behind us and said,
“I’m hungry, it feels like I haven’t eaten in a week.” That was when we noticed our rumbling stomachs. We walked outside and started walking around our now completely rubble town. I hadn’t noticed earlier, but now I saw that everything was in shambles. Cars lay in the middle of the road, dead bodies in them. Entire houses were ripped apart and their scattered remains lay scattered all over the road. The pavement looked as if it had been stripped off the ground and thrown all over by giants. Flames licked some of the objects, but not many. Some of the objects lying were blackened and some were not harmed at all.