Nuclear America

an opponent

We looked for Sienna’s dad’s house so we could get some food. It was closest to the school, so it was the one we found first. Only half of the house had been blown off by the explosion, and the fridge remained. We scavenged some food and ate it vigorously. It felt good to have food down our throats. Sienna found her computer and checked to see if everything was fine with it. All but one thing was fine. The date was messed up. It read one week after we had gone to school that day. Everyone was so surprised that nobody noticed the soft sound of gunfire but Sean. He alerted us and we crouched in a corner. We didn’t hear much gunfire anymore until a few minutes later, when it became really loud. It was the sound of a semi-automatic, shooting at us! The first bullets whizzed over our heads, and we ran. Joey picked up Rebecca and dodged bullets with his incredible speed, Joe jumped out of the way, and Devin and Ollie made barriers of their element to protect them. I tried to jump out of the way, but I got hit anyways. I was amazed that the bullets had just bounced off my skin like they were nothing more than a pebble. Sean had the quickest reaction of all; he jumped to the side and rolled out of the sightline. Ashley sat there and screamed while Manan created a barrier with his mind, stopping the bullets in midair right before his face. Sienna got hit in her shoulder, and screamed from the pain. Ashley was the prime target in the shooting, because she was loaded full of bullets. Her eyes had gone cold, like the eyes of a dead person, and she was twitching. Blood was pouring out of all her wounds quickly, but she didn’t feel any pain. She fell to the ground, screamed, and suddenly went limp. All of us just stared at her, dead, lying on the ground with blood pouring out of her. The shooter paid no attention to this and continued his murdering.
It was then that I decided that it was too much chaos. However annoying she may have been, nobody kills my friends without reason. I ran up to the shooter although he kept on shooting at me, the bullets just bounced off once again. Once I had reached him I jumped and landed a mid-air kick in his stomach as hard as I could. He flew very far from this powerful kick and landed face up on the ground. I walked over, kicked the gun out of his hand, and stepped on his neck. At first it was a light step, but I was forcing my foot and the shooter, a boy that I didn’t know, had no air supply. Sienna called out and I realized what I was doing-I was slowly killing this boy. I quickly removed my foot from his neck.