Only One.

One Shot!

"Engaged?!" I looked down at the expensive engagement ring. It felt heavier than my heart as I looked up at my best friend, Kelsey. "Crazy, huh?" I said with a frown. "You can't be! You're like what 19! What are you going to tell Matt?" She asked. I sighed and looked out the window watching Matt play his guitar at the front step with Alex. "He knew it was coming." I said as I looked back at her. "Come with me and Alex and Matt come on we can start a whole new life somewhere." Kelsey sat down next to me. "You know they'd track me down." I frowned and leaned my head on her shoulder. "We'll think of something." She assured me. I hope we do.

~!~

Kelsey was making dinner as Alex came up behind her and grabbed her waist. "Alex!!" She screamed turning around and shoving his shoulder. "You're going to give the poor girl a heart attack." Matt laughed coming in from the door and placed his guitar down. "Or set the place on fire." I said as Matt laughed sitting next to me and pulling me to his lap. "Aw guys come on! Not in my kitchen!!" Jack came in whining seeing Alex pinning Kelsey to the kitchen counter. "Chill out Jack, I'm making dinner." Kelsey laughed kissing Alex again. "Hey beautiful." Matt whispered in my ear as I smiled and looked at him. He smiled and kissed me and I smiled on his lips. "How was the jam session?" I asked. "Good. Alex kept fucking up on Teenage Dirt Bag." Matt laughed. "Hey! I got that shit down." Alex pointed out as Kelsey rolled her eyes and silenced him with a kiss.

~!~

"Why don't you do what we did?" Alex asked as he kissed Kelsey's cheek. We've been discussing this whole 'Engagement' thing for an hour already and I wish they would just drop the subject because it wasn't helping. "I told her that. Why can't you do what we did?" Kelsey asked. "What did you guys do?" Matt asked. We left Maryland… because our parents couldn't stand us together." Alex said looking at Kelsey. Matt glanced at me as I closed my eyes and breathed in. I opened them when he took my hand. "Give it a shot?" Matt asked.

"They'll track me down, you know that. You don't want to go to jail again because of me." I said. "Ha, that was when you were 16 silly. You're 18 now. Besides they should go to jail for making you marry someone at 18." Matt said as I let a small smile slip. "Why'd you say yes anyways?" Alex asked. "They want to get rid of me." Matt cut me off as I looked at him. He smiled sweetly, "But they can't get rid of me that easily." I smiled leaning over and kissing his lips. "They remind me of us." Kelsey giggled as Alex laughed and nodded. He stood up and carried Kelsey over his shoulder. "Well it's late, we need our beauty sleep." Alex said as Kelsey kept giggling and squirming.

"Don't touch her Alex." I yelled after him as he went to their bed room. "I can't guarantee that Janelle." Alex said as he shut the door with Kelsey laughing loudly. "Shall I take you home?" Matt asked as I shook my head no. "I can drive home. I don't want dad to come out and check again." I said as he nodded. "Don't worry; we'll get out of here soon. I'm working on it." Matt said as I nodded and kissed his lips. "Mm, give me another one before you leave." He smiled as I laughed and kissed him again. "I love you." I whispered.

~!~

"Where were you Janelle?" My mom asked me as soon as I opened the door. I didn't answer as I shut the door and locked it. "You went out to see that boy again huh?" She said as I kept ignoring her. "Janelle I am talking to you!" She yelled as she came up to me and grabbed my arm. I looked at her, "What do you want? You've already got me bound to something I don't even want. What else do you want from me! Just leave me alone, alright? I'm tired." I said as I yanked my arm away and continued upstairs.

"I swear that girl keeps getting ruder and ruder every day. I blame that boy." I heard my mom as I rolled my eyes and walked up to my room. I've always hated my room. It was so plain, so fake. It didn't even describe who I was. I missed the room I shared with Matt. We both each had a wall full of band posters we both loved and Polaroid photographs Kelsey would take of all of us. I sat on the floor and pulled out a shoe box from under my bed. I took of the lid and unfolded the tiny posters that were long kept from memories of the past.

I was looking over pictures smiling and laughing as I remembered the days that I was free. My mom hated my friends. She thought Kelsey was whore. Alex was a drunk. And of course she thought Matt was some pedophile who came to take her precious baby away. Why does she care now? I put the pictures away and shoved them under the bed as my dad came into the room. "You have a dinner date with Ryan tomorrow. Dress nice." My dad said as I made a face. "Yes Dad." I muttered as he closed the door.

I took out Alex's cell phone that I was currently borrowing since my mom checks my call log on my own cell. I remembered what Kelsey said when she let me borrow the phone and laughed. 'Borrow Alex's he's always with me anyways so he doesn't need one. Oh but don't lurk his text messages… they're um..X Rated….so to speak.' Matt and I always said the two will one day end up having a baby early or getting hip replacements early. I dialed Matt's number and went into my bathroom.

"Hey love." Matt's voice came from the other line with a blast of screamo music as I smiled. "What makes you think I'm not Alex?" I asked. "Well for a fact I know he's in the other room making noise…. "Matt said as I could picture him making a face. “Aw, I'm sorry. Is that why you're listening to screamo at…12 at night?" I laughed. "Ugh yes. I'm trying not to piss off our neighbors but then again I'm saving their asses from getting scarred for life because of those two." Matt said as I laughed.

"Aw hey well I can't talk to long but I just wanted to tell you I wouldn't be able to hang with you late tomorrow cause I have dinner with Ryan tomorrow." I said. "Oh. Okay." Matt said. "But we can do whatever you want tomorrow. It’s your day this time." I said. "Alright. That sounds good." He said. "So I'll see you tomorrow. I love you." I said. "Love you to." Matt said and I hung up.

~!~

I had my head laid on Matt’s lap as he ran his fingers through my hair. We were watching Star Wars for the 3rd time today but I didn’t care, I was with him and that’s all that mattered. I shifted around so that I was facing his stomach instead of the tv. He glanced down at me as I made my fingers walk up his tummy. He leaned down as I leaned up a bit taking his face in my hand and kissed him.

“I don’t want to go tonight.” I whispered as he wrapped his arms around me and made me sit on his lap. “I know you don’t. I don’t want you to go either.” Matt said as he kissed my cheek snuggling his face against mine. “I wish you were the one who I was having dinner with.” I pouted as he kissed my lips. “I wish I was to.” He said as I sighed and leaned my head on his shoulder.

Alex and Kelsey came in through the door as I looked up to see the two soaking wet. “Rain caught up with you guys?” Matt laughed. “No, but she insisted on staying out there…” Alex laughed as Kelsey turned to Alex and kissed his lips. “He does whatever I tell him.” She winked as Alex shook his head and carried her over his shoulder. “But sometimes I like to deny it!” Alex said as he threw her on the couch beside us and jumped on her. “Aw come on guys! This is our space! Don’t infect it too!” I whined laughing.

"We're not that bad!" Kelsey giggled as Alex kissed her shoulder. "Yes you are! My poor baby had to blast screamo to drown you two out!" I said as Alex pouted and looked at us. "Sorry Matty." They both said and I laughed. "It’s okay." Matt laughed as Alex pulled Kelsey up and started pulling her to the room. "Aw come on what did I just say?!" I said as Alex stopped. "We're just going for a shower!" Alex complained. "Just a shower nothing more." I said as Alex smirked. "And again I can't guarantee that." Alex grinned and pulled Kelsey inside laughing.

I sighed looking at the clock to see it was 5 PM. "I have to go." I frowned at Matt and I felt his arms around me tighten as I tried to get up. I looked at him and he was frowning. "Don't go." He pouted. "I'm sorry. I'll come early in the morning tomorrow, while you're sleeping. And we can sleep in together. Keep your door unlocked." I said as he sighed and let me go. I held his face and kissed his lips sweetly. "I love you. So much. Don't forget that." I smiled and he did.

~!~

I sat in the backseat refusing to sit next to Ryan. "Janelle you're making me look like a driver." He chuckled. "I hate sitting in the front seat to be honest." I muttered as I fumbled with my dress trying to pull the skirt line down. My mom bought me another constricting slutty flashy dress and I hated it. Ryan sighed and pulled up to the lobby of another expensive restaurant. Ryan got out of the car and went over to the side and opened the door.

He held out his hand to me and I reluctantly took it as he pulled me to him snaking his arm around my waist. "Good evening Mr. Johnson, here for your reservations?" The hostess smiled at us as she took two menus. "Yes, the usual spot, Sharleen." Ryan flashed her a flirty smile and I rolled my eyes as she seemed to gasp silently and lead us to our table. Dinner wasn't going to be so pleasant tonight.

"See anything you like?" Ryan asked as I scanned down a 4th page of steaks and expensive dishes. "You should know me by now Ryan, I don't eat meat." I said leaning against the palm of my hand and closed the menu. "You have to eat something. Maybe some soup or a salad?" Ryan said as I sighed. "I'm not that hungry." I said as our waiter came up to our table. "Good evening to you two, I'm Mary and I'll be your server tonight. Would you like something to drink first?" She asked politely. "Dr. Pepper. In a can. No ice." I said beating Ryan with whatever he was planning on ordering.

"We'll also have a Dom Perignon Rose 1996. Thank you." Ryan said as I sighed. "Ryan.. Spending $400 on champagne is a waste." I said as he gave me a smile. "Don't worry. $400 isn't that much." He grinned as I rolled my eyes. The waitress came back with the bottle of champagne and two glasses. Also with my can of Dr. Pepper. She placed them on the table and popped the cork off the champagne letting the bubbles spill into the bucket. She poured it in the two glasses and left the bottle at our table. "Are you ready to order?" She asked taking out her note pad.

Ryan ordered his food as he looked at me and I looked up. "I told you I'm not hungry." I said as I played with the forks. "She'll have the Greek Salad and Soup special." Ryan said as I groaned and the waitress nodded and left. "I'm taking you out to dinner, you have to do your part and eat." Ryan said as I looked away scowling at the wall.

"So I talked to your mother today...." Ryan started as I played with my soup and did not once touch the glass of champagne. "And?" I said as I took a drink of my Dr. Pepper. "She and I both agreed that it would be much better if our wedding was moved to this Saturday." He said. I choked on my Dr. Pepper, "This Saturday?" I looked at him in disbelief.

"Mhm, I mean your mom has everything set anyways. The dresses are in, the rings are in. Everything." Ryan said as I felt my heart drop into my stomach. "Y-you've got to be kidding me right?!" I blurted out. "What's wrong?" He asked confused. "What's wrong?! You're making me marry you in 3 fuckin' days!" I yelled and it seemed the whole restaurant had their eyes on us.

Ryan looked around then to me. "Janelle...sit down. please." He said as I shook my head and threw the napkin on the table. "No." I said as I started walking away. "Janelle!" Ryan yelled after me as I kept walking and out of the restaurant. "Janelle- Listen to me." Ryan ran after me and grabbed my arm.

I turned around to him and pushed him off. "No you fuckin' listen to me. You and my mother have already forced me to say yes to your engagement. Fine. Take away who I really love. And now you're making me marry you in three days? That's it no." I said taking off the ring. "Janelle don't do that. I'll talk to your mom. We'll move it." He said as I looked at him. "3 months." I said as he looked at me. "I- I can't do that.-" He said as I was about to take the ring off again. "-I have to fly out to London Janelle!" he explained.

"Three fuckin' months or no wedding." I said as he looked at me. "3 weeks." He proposed. "Ryan No! It’s too soon!" I said. "Okay okay. Let me talk to your mom...." He sighed as I nodded. "Take me home. I don't feel good." I said as he sighed and nodded. He called for the car and once it was there I climbed into the back seat and leaned my head against the window.

~!~

I promised Matt I was going to sleep in with him this morning. I got up and got dressed and snuck out the door. I got into my car and drove off to the apartment. I opened the door with the key they gave me and closed it behind me. Jack was asleep on the couch and I snuck into Matt's room. Matt was asleep hugging the pillow as I smiled and walked over to him. I put my bag down and climbed in beside him.

I looked over his face and smiled at his sleeping face. He looked like a baby and I giggled slightly. I kissed his cheek and wrapped an arm over his chest. "Matty..." I whispered. He twitched and continued to sleep. I kissed his cheek again and smiled. "Matty...I love you." I whispered in his ear and combed back his hair. He smiled subconsciously and shifted around to face me. "I -lo..ve you..too." He murmured. I propped myself up with an elbow as I ran my finger down the side of his face.

He didn't seem to mind and he kept sleeping. I smiled and I leaned down to kiss his lips. His arms wrapped around me and pulled me closer surprising me. I laughed as he smiled against my lips. "Good morning." He mumbled with his eyes still closed. "Morning sleepy." I smiled and kissed him again. "So what are we doing today?" I asked. "Lay around all day." He grinned. "Sounds pretty good to me." I smiled as I snuggled closer and closed my eyes. He started singing softly in my ear and I relaxed in his arms. I hated last night but this made up for it.

"I really don't want to get up." I giggled looking up at Matt who had his arms around me. "Don't get up." He laughed kissing my forehead. "Mmk." I smiled as I kissed under his chin. "I missed you." He said as I leaned my head on his chest listening to his heart. Every beat made me smile and calm as I closed my eyes and nodded. "I know. I missed you to." I said. "I miss you having you next to me also." Matt said. "Me to." I said as I drew hearts on his tummy. "That tickles." He laughed as I looked at him and drew circles up to his chest.

Matt grabbed my finger and kissed me. "Run away with me." He said softly as I looked into his blue eyes. "I wish." I said with a frown. "Marry me, Janelle." He said as I looked at him. "How?" I asked. "We'll leave this place. Just say yes. Will you marry me?" He asked as I smiled and nodded. He smiled and kissed me. He took a box from under his pillow and held out a necklace with the engagement ring on it. "Wear it for now. Until we leave." He said putting it around my neck.

~!~

"What am I going to do Kels?" I asked as I made sure Matt was sound asleep in the room. "About what?" She asked while she played with Alex's hair who was sleeping on her lap. "I'm getting married to Ryan in 3 days." I said trying to keep my voice low. Her hand dropped and she looked at me. "3 days?" She repeated, "you're kidding right?" I shook my head no. "I don't know what to do anymore." I frowned. "Does Matt know?" Kelsey asked. "No. Don't tell him either." I said.

Kelsey wasn't looking at me. She was looking behind me and I was afraid to turn around. I had to eventually and I did. Matt stood there with a frown on his face. His blue eyes shaded with sadness. "3 days. Why didn't you tell me?" Matt asked as I opened my mouth to speak but closed it. Matt nodded his head and turn to go back in the room. "Matt." I sighed as I went into the room after him. "I didn't tell you because I don't want to worry you." I said as I took his hand.
"How am I supposed to not worry Janelle? You're getting married in 3 days!" Matt said as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Please don't worry. You know I'm always yours whatever happens." I said as I kissed him but he pulled back. He looked at the floor as I let my arms drop from around his neck. "No you're not. When you say you're always mine. I don't want any strings attached." Matt said as he looked at me. I felt angry and confused. He was giving up on me.

"So that's it Matt? You're just going to let me marry that asshole?" I yelled as Matt groaned and sat on his bed. "What do you want me to do Janelle? What is there to do anymore? I can't stop you in 3 days!" Matt said as I couldn't help but let myself cry. "Why can't you try? Don't you love me?" I asked as he stood up and came to me. He held my face and wiped my face. "Of course I do." Matt said. "You're lying. If you loved me Matt, you'd stop me. You'd try till the end. You're a liar Matt." I said pulling his hands off my face and I turned to leave.

"Janelle..." Matt started as he tried to grab my hand. I left the room passing Kelsey, ignoring her as I slammed the front door. I drove home amazed I didn't crash from crying. I laid on my bed toying with the ring Matt gave me. I didn't believe that he wouldn't try anymore. That he was going to give up the hope we've build up for so long.

~!~

I sat in a chair for 3 hours because of hair and makeup. I had not talk to Kelsey nor Matt for 3 days. And I was here getting married to a man I didn't even love. "Janelle, take that necklace off, it’s so ugly." My mom said. "Leave me alone mom, I'm already getting married." I said as she sighed as two security guards dressed in tuxes came into the room. "Make sure these four people don't get in the wedding. Especially Matt Good." My mom tried to whisper but she wasn't good at it. I scowled at her as she handed the security guards a set of pictures and names of my friends.

I looked at myself in the mirror. With all the makeup on my face and the way I was dressed, I couldn't even recognize myself. I wanted to wipe off every ounce of make up on my face. I didn't want the new me nor my new life with Ryan. I wanted to be me. I wanted to be with Matt. I wanted to be with my friends. "Janelle.." I looked up and saw one of the bride's maids come in. I didn't even know any of the guests. "Yeah?" I asked. "We're ready for you." She said politely as I nodded and got up.

And there I was, taking steps to the end of my life. I didn't want this and I wish I could just turn and run off. I couldn't. People were staring at me with smiles so fake you can tell. I hardly knew anyone there. Ryan stood there barely smiling at me. I was going to be a trophy wife. Someone save me please. I reached the altar and Ryan took my hand and I was prepared to hear any lie he was about to tell me. "You look beautiful." He said and I almost scoffed in sarcasm.

The ceremony played on and I was not looking forward to the end of this. "....If anyone thinks these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace." I looked at Ryan who was staring at me and I looked down. "I got something to say." I heard a familiar voice say as I looked up to see Kelsey wearing a blonde wig and my first thought was What the hell is she doing? "I slept with the groom." she said as everyone gasped even Ryan. I tried not to laugh biting my tongue as I watched where she was going with this.

"That's a lie!" Ryan yelled. "Lie?! Ryan? You lied to me! You told me you love me! You told me you're going to marry me! But you picked her! You picked her and not me!" Kelsey yelled. She was always an actress even at home. I was trying hard to keep up with the stunt. Ryan's mom had the most impossible face ever. "That's not true! I don't even know you!" Ryan yelled as my mom muttered in frustration. "Oh cut the crap out Kelsey. This is why you never get acting jobs!" My mom yelled marching up her ripping her wig off.

Kelsey started giggling as she stood up on the seat. "Yes Connie, it’s me. And yes you're right; I never got acting jobs because I use it on the wrong situations. But get this one, I am not a whore." Kelsey said as she messed my mom's hair up. My mom gasped being appalled that my best friend touched her. Kelsey hopped off the seat and ran. "Take her out of here!" My mom yelled as security chased her out. "Now can we please get on with this?!" My mom said as I felt my heart drop when I saw them catch up to Kelsey.

The minister cleared his throat and was about to pick up where he left off. "Stop!" Matt yelled as I looked towards the direction where I heard his voice and my heart skipped as I saw him stand at the doors. "She can't marry him." Matt said as he started walking towards me. I picked up my dress and started towards him. "Why not?" The minister asked as Matt took my hands. "Because I love her." Matt said as he looked at me. "You came for me." I whispered as a tear fell from my eye. "I couldn't let you go like that you know." Matt said as he kissed me.

"What the hell is this!?" My mom yelled as she went up to us. I pulled away from Matt and turned to her holding his hand behind my back. "You can't keep me from him Mom. I don't love Ryan. I don't care what you say I'm going to leave with Matt." I said. "You're marrying Ryan because I said so." My mom yelled. "No. i'm 18. I can do whatever the fuck I want." I smiled as I pulled off my veil and the engagement ring Ryan gave me and shoved it to my mom. "Come on lets go." I said as I pulled Matt out the door while my mom tried to run after me.

Alex pulled up to the curb in his car as Jack threw the door open. "Come on!" Jack said as we both jumped into the car and drove off. I looked at Jack and he was dressed as one of the security guards and so was Alex. "You sneaky jerks! I thought you took my best friend away!" I laughed as Kelsey peaked from the front seat. "Naw, we've got it all planned out. Now we're heading to Vegas baby!" Kelsey said as she put the wig on Alex and kissed him. I looked at Matt and smiled kissing his lips. "I love you." I smiled as he rubbed his nose against mine. "I know." He whispered and I giggled kissing him again.

~!~

6 months later.

The sound of crying filled the house. "Kelsey! Someone's crying! I think it’s your husband, not Jimmy." I joked as I sat comfortably on Matt's lap. "Shut up! I hate changing diapers." Alex said as Kelsey laughed taking his job. "You're horrible." She stuck her tongue out at him. "Yes but you love me either way." Alex said kissing her nose. She giggled and picked her baby boy up. Matt kissed my neck and placed a hand on my stomach. "So how many more months?" Matt smiled. "2." I smiled and kissed him. "I love you." He whispered against my lips as I giggled. "And we love you." I smiled.