The Cynical Prince

001: The Night Shift

'I knew he wasn't a stranger...'

"Alessa! Get the table in the back!" I looked over at my boss and sighed. I looked at the table in the back that had spilt coffee all over it and left over muffin bits on top and cringed. I looked up at the girl who was reciting her poem to the gentle beat of the bongo drums wishing I could just relax and enjoy the poetry. However, I was stuck waiting tables making sure I could support my baby and my rent.

"People are so rude." I muttered to myself, as I wiped it down, bringing out the table cleaner I carried in my apron. Tonight was going to be long and I realized that when my manager, Sophie, made a mark on the sign in front saying, 'Open till 1!.

"Hey, Clarissa, mind cleaning this up for me while I go make a phone call to the babysitter?" My good friend and co-worker Clarissa Tate nodded her head and picked up where I had left off in cleaning my table. I went to the front, also grabbing my cigarettes (a habit I quit when I was pregnant with my son, Tagan) and pulled out my cell.

I patiently waited for the ringing to start as I lit up my cigarette and took a long drag.

"Hello?" I heard Stephanie's voice pick up.

"Hey hun, I wanted to see how my baby was doing." I said and heard Tagan giggle, saying 'Mommy!'

"He's fine. He wants to talk to you." I smiled to myself and watched a couple people walk in as Steph handed Tagan the phone.

"Mommy!"

"Hi, baby!"

"Mama! When are you coming home?" I could hear how much he wanted me. I was always working or in school but I was trying my best to make enough money for me and Tagan to be settled well in our lives.

"Late. I'm sorry honey. But I'll be taking you to school tomorrow, okay?" He sighed and I could tell he was nodding his head like he always does.

"Okay, mommy. Be safe. I love you."

"I love you too, honey." I heard the phone shuffle and Steph came back on the line. It broke my heart every time I heard him speak that way. He was only five but he knew that I needed to work hard so that him and me could be happy and safe. I thought about it plenty of times about getting a roommate but there was no one I knew who needed a roommate who wanted a five year old or who even needed to be roommates. And I sure as hell wouldn't trust some random stranger around my son especially when I wasn't there.

"Hey, you're going to be home late?" I sighed and took another long drag of my cigarette almost halfway through with it, "yea. I probably won't be home until 1, 1:30."

"Okay, no problem. I'll get him to bed. He's a good boy." I smiled to myself knowing that he was. He was a very good boy.

"Okay, thanks, Steph. Your a life saver for watching him." I heard her chuckle. "I know, I know. Get back to work."

"Kay, bye." I hung up the phone and finished off my cigarette and then walked back into the lounge.

"Alessa you’re needed at table 12." I nodded my head and went off to finish off the last five hours I had left for the day.

Oddly enough, there was a trio of guys that sat in the back that I could have sworn I knew. I didn't really recognize them but I knew I knew them. I of course didn't go over there to speak with them because let's face it I was busy working and they weren't my table. Plus, all I wanted to do was get home, take a hot bath and sleep all so that I could take my baby to school the next morning.

When my shift finally ended I was lucky enough to not get caught up as one of the ones stuck cleaning up after hours. I changed back quickly into my jeans and t-shirt and walked towards the train station.

"Hey, miss!" I ignored it thinking it was some stupid guy trying to get with me it being 12:30 in the morning.

"Hey!" I looked back to see a man holding my keys in his hands. I freaked and ran towards him snatching them from his hands.

"Thank you." He looked at me confused as I looked away embarrassed that I had left them there.

"You're welcome. See you around." I nodded my head not looking back up at him and walked away down into the subway.

Who was he? He felt...familiar. I couldn't quite place it but I knew he wasn't a complete stranger.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the revised version everyone. Please let me know what you all think about it!!

Comments!