The Cynical Prince

021: Date With the Devil

'I never knew you were anyone else's hero...'

Genieve bit her lip as she stared at the number on her cell phone. She contemplated over and over again if she should call Dean on Alessa's behalf but something fought with her not to. She didn't know the exact reason why Dean had left or why Alessa didn't want to tell Dean about the baby but she knew that Alessa would lose it soon.

If the baby came out looking exactly or similar to Dean it would break Alessa's heart and Genieve didn't know how much more heartbreak Alessa could take. It was enough Alessa had Tagan who looked like he could have grown-up to be Andrew's twin to take care of, if there was another one like that then Alessa could possibly break. Genieve figured that she needed to finally do something for Alessa.

Calling Dean now while things were still early. it had only been a few days since Alessa found out the news, would probably be best rather than calling him when Alessa was dealing with a six-year-old on her hands and the baby had already spent most of his childhood without a father.

She took a deep breath, and pressed talk, awaiting Dean's voice to answer.

----

I had eventually gone to the doctor to make sure everything was okay and that there was in fact a baby beginning to grow inside me, turns out, there was. Three weeks to be exact and Tagan was thrilled. He had always wanted a younger sibling but with all the school I knew I couldn't do that just yet. Now I was forced to. I signed up for night classes, three times a week and I would be home by nine. I thought about it and things would be okay, just as long as there were no more surprises.

Sadly, for me, that wasn't possible. While I was sitting at home, alone, because Tagan was a friends giving me a chance to relax. However, at about eight in the evening a knock came to my door. I thought it was unusual because I hadn't buzzed anyone in so I got up to look through the peep hole and standing there was someone I had prayed to not see for a long time.

Eric Diaz was standing at my front door, dressed sharply in a nice suit holding a bouquet of flowers. Was he serious? I took a deep breath, glad that Tagan wasn't here and that I had cleaned up all his toys so there was no real evidence that Tagan even existed in my house unless he went into the bedroom.

"Eric." I greeted monotonously, not really pleased by his sight as he held out the bouquet for me.

“Vi-Alessa, you look, well.” I took the flowers from him and just stood there, glaring. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. Seemingly upset with or about what, I had no clue.

“Alessa, I'm sorry I hit you, and shot at you. I was really trying to get the inspector.” Like that was suppose to make me feel better.

“You shot at the man I love and then forced him away. You really think I' going to accept any form of apology from you?”

Eric chuckled and then looked at me sternly. He made me nervous, standing in front of him in nothing but my pajamas. He slowly leaned into me and I stood my ground because I knew he was just doing that to make his way inside. I wasn't about to let him get what he wanted.

“Have dinner with me, Alessa. I promise, no guns, no strippers, just a nice quiet dinner. Perhaps I can tell you more about my lovely relationship with the inspector?” Eric seemed sincere, even though I knew he was just up to no good. However, he knew things about Dean that Dean obviously kept from me, things that I had yearned to know the moment all this happened. This might be my only way chance to get answers.

“Only dinner, Eric. I want answers and Dean isn't here to give me them.” Eric looked down at the floor for a moment to think it over and then back up at me.

“Alright. Put your best outfit on and we'll go talk.” Eric smiled and even though he was extremely handsome and charming, I could see the monster behind his eyes.

“Now?” I asked thinking that he must've been crazy if I was going to just put on dress. I know I don't want to impress him but, to go out just like that really wasn't my style. I had some class.

“Yes. I can get us a table anywhere you'd like. All I need if for you to get dressed.” He was serious. I was also slightly impressed at how far his power reached from California. I bit my lip thinking about it and glanced at my bedroom quickly. Getting dressed would take about an hour.

“Think you could give me about an hour?” Eric just smiled and nodded his head. I let him in with some hesitance and pointed to the couch for him to sit down. Yet again did I thank my lucky stars that Tagan wasn't home.

I quickly made my way into the bathroom and took a shower. I was a bit worried that Eric would go snooping around so I wanted to hurry. Surprisingly, getting cleaned and ready only took me about an hour and when I walked out Eric was in the same place I had left him.

“You look beautiful.” I smiled briefly and he led me out the door as I quickly grabbed my purse. Eric didn't have his limo with him this time, he had a black BMW and opened up the passengers door for me.

"I've called in a seat at the Cordon Blu, hope you don't mind." At hearing this my mouth almost dropped. I didn't know what to say, I was extremely impressed that he could get a seat at one of the most elite restaurants in the city. Since I was so speechless I just nodded my head and got into the car.

It took us only thirty minutes to get there and we were quickly seated. Menus came and he ordered a bottle of champagne to start us off as we decided on what we had wanted to dine on. I was a bit nervous because this was all new to me but I knew I had to keep cool.

"So, are you going to tell me why you call, Dean, inspector and how exactly do you know him?" Eric smirked and sat back as the champagne was brought over and served.

"You get straight to the point, huh? No small talk first?" I rolled my eyes as Eric held up his glass and examined it and then took a sip.

"This is amazing, try some and then we'll talk." Eric continued to smirk as he stared at me, this was going to be easy.

"Fine." I took a sip of the champagne and before I swallowed I realized; the baby.

Eric stared at me, waiting for me to compliment the champagne but I was stuck. I couldn't swallow no matter how small the sip was, I even threw out my cigarettes. One thing I knew I would do is everything I did with my first pregnancy which was make sure I was a healthy mother to be carrying, Tagan.

I quickly made my way to the bathroom, I spit it out and washed my mouth out with water. What the hell was I suppose to tell, Eric? I had to go back out there telling him why I had just ran out on him.

"Are you okay?" Eric asked standing up as I came back to the table.

"I-I'm fine. I just really had to go." Eric looked a bit suspicious as we both sat back down but didn't question me on it.

"I see. Well would you like me to tell you about your beloved, Dean?" Eric sat back once more and looked at me sternly.

"Yes." I took the glass of water that was on the table and drank from it, reminding myself that champagne was off limits.

"Well, Dean is a cop back in L.A. and he was a good one. Took down almost every gang leader there was and did so many drug busts even the media lost count. The papers loved him, especially for his temper with the criminals." I was impressed, why Dean never told me this all himself was just confusing. I never thought Dean had been through such things, it was amazing about how he was able to do all this and yet walk away from it all.

"Well, Dean came across me and my father. My father, you see, is like the Godfather in many ways and I was to be his successor. Dean was able to catch my father and lock him up, with that most of his operations. What he didn't count on was me." He paused to take a sip of his champagne as I took this moment to swallow everything that Eric was telling me. This wasn't something a girl hears everyday, I was used to Andrew and him working on his building sites.

"That's how I know him. He came to New York to start over. When I heard that I just couldn't not go after him. Not to mention that I knew things that he wanted and he knew things that I wanted. You just happened to fall into the mess."

"You didn't mention that you knew things that, Dean wanted at the club." Eric looked away from me and sighed. He looked so sad, I never thought that he was capable of these emotions.

"Dean had a fiancé in L.A. and about a month after he caught my father, another guy Dean had put behind bars go out. This man, furious at Dean, decided to get even with him." I held my breath afraid of what was going to be said, "He stalked Dean's fiancé for weeks and soon enough with some of his buddies he raped and murdered her. Dean had no idea who it was but was completely heartbroken by the matter. He quit the force and moved here. Then I guess he found you." I was nearly in tears not wanting to believe the story he was telling me. I couldn't believe that had happened to Dean, I couldn't believe he was able to pull himself together like that and yet here I was still crying of Andrew's death a year later.

"So, that's why he left with no hesitation." I murmured. Eric nodded his head as the food came over. I had ordered something small in hopes it would get me out of here faster.

"The moment I threatened you, Dean knew he wasn't willing to take that chance. I wanted to bring you here to tell you, I would never harm you." I rolled my eyes not believing he had just said that.

"You gave me a bloody nose, Eric. My ass you would never hurt me!" I had said that slightly above speaking level and had attracted the attention of some of the other costumers. I quickly looked down embarrassed at my own out burst.

"I know and I'm sorry, Alessa! I really am, I want you to know that my feelings for you were really genuine, and I really want to be with you." I began to hyperventilate at hearing that. He obviously couldn't mean it! But, if he did, what did that mean for me? For Tagan?

Would we be stalked like some sort of animal or would we be forced to help with his drug business? The more I thought about it the more nervous i got. My breath became shallow, almost wheezing and my head began to spin. I tried to stand up to run off to the bathroom but instead I collapsed onto the floor.

I could hear the voices of the people around me loud and clear but who or where the voices were coming from I had no idea. I looked around and my vision was slow, following the movement of my eyes about a second later. I felt a pair of hands touch me and I began to cry, fighting against the hands that were grabbing me. I was panicking, wondering what was going on. I lost all sense of time and even where I was, who I was with. Soon the light headedness came enveloping me in a wave of nausea. I couldn't take it anymore, my vision then blurred and darkness replaced it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the long wait! Comment please everyone! Let me know what you think!