The Cynical Prince

003: Old Flames

'He never really left me...'

Once I had gotten to Hunter it was about 9:45 and I had about fifteen minutes to get something quick to eat. So I quickly made my way to the deli across the street and ordered myself a bacon, egg, and cheese on a roll. I got my food, my coffee that was very much needed after this morning, and my cigarettes. I knew I had half a pack left but I knew my mood was only going to go down hill thinking about how I was suppose to get a party together in time for Tagan's birthday.

"Crap." I sighed and made my way to class and was one of the first ones there. I always sat in the back alone and usually ate quickly while reading up on some of whatever I had missed or skimmed over the night before. I placed my reading glasses on and opened the book while eating my sandwich not expecting to be disturbed until the professor came into the room. Since the seat next to me was always empty I never really expected anyone to sit next to me until I heard a man clear his throat. I looked up at him, half the sandwich in my mouth with my English book open in front of my and my glasses falling down the bridge of my nose. I smiled cheekily and realized it was the man who had handed me my keys last night.

"You." I whispered, and swallowed what food was in my mouth and he nodded his head handing me my bag from off of my chair.

"Nice to see you again. Still scared of me?" I was speechless and wasn't really sure of what to say. Luckily the professor came in just in time and told everyone to take a seat so we could get started.

After sitting there for an hour and a half I was finally free and able to stretch my legs having an hour break until my next class. The man who had been sitting next to me I never really learned his name but he insisted on following me.

"Can I help you with something? New to the city?" He smiled and shook his head.

"Your name...wouldn't perhaps be, Alessa Sparks, would it?" My mouth dropped thinking back to class not once hearing the professor call my name. How could he possibly know that?

"Uh, yea. Why?" He smiled and hugged me all of a sudden and struggled against him.

"It's me!" Okay, he was really starting to scare me.

"Dean! Dean Winters." My eyes bulged out of my head as I saw it now. Dean Winters was an old high school boyfriend, one of the best actually who I always wondered what had happened to him.

"Oh my god! You look amazing!" And that he did. Taller, darker, his muscles practically bulging through his sweater, I remember he was like that in high school only slightly shorter and less muscles.

"So do you! I thought that was you last night at the lounge I was just to nervous to speak to you but, when I saw you here I knew I just had to ask." I chuckled and nodded my head.

"I thought you looked familiar. I thought you moved away?" He sighed and we walked around campus to the rooftops of one of the buildings to the college.

"I did, but then I came back. Working on getting my masters in teaching." I furrowed my brow and looked up at him.

"Really? Teaching what? Because I am too. I just finished my associates in English Literature and Psychology." He smiled at me and leaned back against the wall.

"Health. For high schoolers, you remember me, can't stand kids." I chuckled and nodded my head.

"Right." He was never really one for young children, or at least masses of them. He had no patience to teach them but he was a good guy towards babies. Not the best paternal instincts but he had some.

"So, how has life been for you?" He asked I looked at him and sighed.

"That sucky huh? Well you can't really expect much from people these days can you?" I smiled feebly and shrugged my shoulders.

"My life is pretty okay. I was married." I looked up at him and he looked at me shocked. I showed him the ring I still wore on my left finger and he stared at it in amazement.

"Wow, he was a very lucky guy, Alessa. What happened that you say you were married?" I held my breath and held back tears. It was still painful to talk about it.

"He past away last year in a car accident. He was hit rushing back home, getting us our morning coffee. My son for a month sat by the door waiting for his father to come through." Dean seemed shocked at all that I was divulging to him. I bit my lip knowing I was about to cry and I felt him embrace me.

"Hey, it's okay. You look like you're doing great." I smiled at nodded my head wiping the one stray tear that had gotten away.

"You should come over some time, Dean. We have a lot of catching up to do and I'm sure Tagan would love to meet you." He furrowed his brow in confusion and I smiled giving a small chuckle.

"My son, he's five. Turning six soon." Dean smiled and nodded his head.

"Of course. You know I said I was always going to be there for you and I'm sorry I wasn't." I smiled at him and shook my head. I gave him a tight hug and he hugged me back.

"Don't think about it. Here's my number and you give me a call when you want to meet up and I'll see when I can, okay?" Dean nodded his head and I ran off to my next class seeing the time. I had written my number on a small piece of paper and slipped it into his hands.

I had missed Dean. He was a great guy and if I remembered correctly was in love with me all those years ago. However, I was faced with a decision then, Dean or Andrew (my late husband), and as you can all see I chose Andrew. Andrew was my everything and Dean was my best friend who was always there for me.

He was always there for me and I always wanted to love him back but I had Andrew and I knew I loved him more. When Dean left I was so scared I would never see him again.

Guess people who truly mean a lot to you never really do leave you.