Sequel: Move Along

Dirty Little Secret

Chapter 54: Final Answer

*POV Switch*

I stare at Chuck, my throat bone dry, words completely escaping me. I can do nothing more than gape at him like a moron as he stares up at me with those hopeful hazel eyes.

What do I tell him? Do I say ‘yes’ because it is all part of our plan anyway? Do I say that I need to think about it because this is so sudden?

Do I even dare to tell him ‘no’?

He gives an awkward chuckle, obviously feeling like an idiot.

I wonder how long I’ve been making him wait…

“Angel?”

I swallow hard, pain ripping through my dry throat.

“I need an answer… Any answer…”

I finally try to force the words out.

“Chuck…” I start, my voice fading out.

“Yeah?”

He gazes up at me with those hopeful hazel eyes.

I remember when I used to melt looking in his eyes, how I felt safe whenever I’d gaze into them, how butterflies would swell in my stomach whenever I’d steal a glace of them…

I want those days back so badly.

I’d do anything to get them back.

Maybe I can…

“Yes, I’ll marry you.”

He smiles widely at me as he gets up to his feet. He takes the ring out of the box and slips it on my finger. He places a soft kiss on my lips.

“You have no idea how happy you’ve just made me. It’s going to be perfect; just me, you, and the baby.”

I swallow hard. “Yeah, perfect,” I reply as my stomach sinks.

“I’m going to tell the guys the good news!” he smiles. “I’ll be right back.”

He gives me another quick peck on the lips before he darts out of the room.

I stare at the door for a moment, contemplating what I’ve just done, trying to convince myself that I’ve done the right thing.

What do I mean ‘trying to convince myself’?

Of course it’s the right thing!

How can it not be the right thing?

I’ve loved Chuck for years; he’s been all I’ve ever wanted. Now I have him, and I’m going to have him for the rest of my life. I’m going to be Angelica Comeau. It has a nice ring to it.

Chuck and I are going to get married, we’re going to raise my little girl together, and we’re going to be the perfect family. Well, as perfect as we can be given the circumstances.

Everything’s perfect.

But if everything’s perfect… why do I have this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that it’s not?
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, despite everyone wanting her to tell Chuck 'No', I had to go with version 'Yes'. It just goes better with what I had in mind for this story. I hope I haven't made you all terribly upset. I did have a version written out where she said, "No". I even had one where she needed time to think things over, but in the end I felt like this one had the most potential.

I hope you liked the update, even though she didn't say what you wanted her to.

And as always, thanks for reading, commenting, and subscribing!