Sequel: Move Along

Dirty Little Secret

Chapter 56: Please Don't...

*POV Switch*

I stare down at the ring on my finger.

The ring that makes my hand feel as if it weighs a ton.

I move my hand slightly; the light catches in the diamond and it sparkles, tiny rainbows dance inside the gem.

It’s pretty…

But I’ve seen prettier things…

There’s a soft knock on my door and my head jerks up to see who it is.

My heart flutters and I smile when I see a pair of green eyes peer into the room.

Now those are a million times prettier than this ring…

“Chuck said you were sleeping and I didn’t want to bother you. Is it okay if I come in?” he asks softly.

“Of course.”

He enters the room, gently closing the door behind him.

“So I heard the big news,” he announces as he makes his way to my bedside.

“Oh, you did?”

“Yeah, congratulations.” He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes.

I look down into my lap. “Thanks.”

He gently coaxes my face up to look at him. “You don’t look happy. What’s wrong?” he murmurs, his eyes piercing into me.

“I’m just tired, that’s all. Giving birth takes a lot out of a girl.”

He gives a small smile and brushes some hair out of my eyes. “I bet it does. But I think you’ll agree with me that it was totally worth it in the end when you saw our beautiful little girl.”

I smile.

He said ‘our beautiful little girl’.

“Yeah, it was.”

“I’m just sorry I wasn’t there to see it.”

“It’s probably for the best. Lots of blood and screaming.”

“Sounds like you’re describing something out of a slasher flick!”

“Well it was close enough!” I reply, trying to hold back a laugh.

He chuckles and brushes his thumb across my cheek. “Only we would compare giving birth to a baby, our own daughter for that matter, as something out of a horror movie and laugh about it. It just goes to show you that we’re just a couple of messed up freaks.”

“I suppose we are. But it’s nice to know I’m in good company.”

He smiles at me.

“If you don’t mind my asking, why are you back?”

“Gena and I broke up.”

“Zacky, I’m so sorry,” I reply, trying to conceal the joy that’s filling up inside of me at the revelation. I always thought he was too good for Gena.

He shakes his head. “It’s okay. She was screwing around behind my back again. I should have seen it coming…” He sighs. “I guess I just never learn.”

Suddenly the joy begins to drain away and I’m filled with sympathy for him.

I know I wanted them to break up, but I would have never wished for her to be cheating again. Poor Zacky’s been through enough with her. Did she really have to do something that low again?

“Zacky, sweetheart, I’m so sorry to hear that. Are you okay?” I reach to him and my thumb grazes his cheek.

He takes my hand and brings it to his lips, kissing it. “I’m fine, Angel.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure.” He sighs, still holding onto my hand. “Angel, I have to tell you something really important.”

“Yeah, Zacky?”

“I’m not really sure how to say this but…” he trails off.

“What is it?”

“It’s just that…”

“Just spit it out, Zacky!”

“I love you.”

My heart skips a beat.

“I love you too, Zacky,” I reply cautiously, fearful that I misinterpreted the meaning of his words. “You’re one of my best friends.”

He sighs. “Angel, I think you misunderstood me.”

He leans in and places a soft, lingering kiss on my lips and my heart begins to race.

“I’m in love with you, Angel.” His eyes gaze into mine, so full of sincerity. “Please, don’t marry Chuck.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought I'd post another chapter for you guys. I hope you liked it!

As always thanks for reading, commenting, and subscribing! You guys are amazing!