Untitled

Chapter 20

They pulled up to the cities ferry port. The queue of cars were just about as long as Frank could see.
"You have your passport and that ready dude?" Frank asked.
"Yeah, its in the glove box.."
Frank leaned in to get it. "I've got Kally's in this bag, with mine" He pointed to the baby bag at his feet.
"HOLY SHIT." He exclaimed as he realised what was going on. Police were looking in each car. They were stopping people to check who was in the cars.
"What?" Gerard turned to see what Frank was panicking about, a look of confusion pasted on his face.
"Their searching cars dude." Frank shifted in his seat, the nearest officer was only about 10 cars away.
"Fuck, do you think so?"
"Yes, i'm screwed for sure." The pair looked at each other and then back at the police man.
"Fucking climb in the back, put the back seat down and climb into the boot dude!" Gerard started pushing Frank in the direction of the back of the car.
"What??"
"QUICK, keep down, go now."
"Shit!" Frank jumped up from his seat, slinging his body into the backseat head first. The baby was sleeping safely in her seat. He pulled the blanket up to her neck and pulled the hood that was attached to her pink hoody over her hair, covering her as much as possible. Then taking the small knob that controlled the seats, pulled the seats back down. The smell of fuel leaked from the boot. "Jesus Gerard!" Frank fanned the air at the smell.
"Hurry god damn it!"
Frank launched himself into the boot. There was an advantage to being small. His feet where still sticking out slightly as Gerard lent backwards and slammed the small opening shut. Frank felt the last drop of clean air disappear as all he could taste was petrol.

Gerard fell back into his seat, jumping out of his skin as the officer had come up beside the car and was now knocking on the window. Gerard yelled slightly in fright. 'Had he seen Frank??? 'FUCK'
The officer did a wind down the window motion with his arm. Gerard did just that.

"Hello sir, we're carrying out routine checks on every motor vechical leaving the country. Can I see your documentation please." The officer was tall and black. His uniform was neat and tidy, Gerard could tell it had been pressed.
"Sure, one moment." Gerard lent over to the glove compartment, for his passport. He grabbed it and proceeded to give it to the officer.
"Okay sir, thank you." He looked at it for a moment. "and the childs?"
Gerard went for her bag to get hers. But wait, he'd read it and know who she was.
"Oh crap." You know what, i dont think i have it. As if I forgot. Damn!" Gerard was quite a good liar. He'd done it most of his life. He looked back at the officer.
"Well do you know where it is?"
"Yeah it will have been in my wife's car. She came through with all the luggage not so long ago, you may have seen her. Blonde....urhh. blue sweater."
"No I can't say I did." The officer moved back, looking at the baby. His face was doubtful. Gerard felt a sweat develop under his fringe.
"Well Mister.....Way, I shall ask you to fill in this form for me please if you could pull up here and get out of the car."
"Ummmm sure." Gerard nodded, winding up the window and starting to move the car. He got out as asked. The form consisted of a set of questions about people travelling without identification. Gerard couldn't think of what to write. He thought of who he could put. His cousin's baby was all he could think of. He filled in the form as best he could, with all false details. He was really shitting it now.
"Okay thank you sir. Ill radio your details to the ferry official's and then they can catch up with you when we locate your wife. Thank you." He passed Gerard's passport back and took the form. Then he disapeared.
Mean while Frank was having trouble breathing. His head was light, the fumes were getting him high.
Gerard drove away panicing about what he'd do further on in the trip. Then he paniced about Frank. Could he breath in there?