Untitled

Chapter 28.

Jenny sat. She wasn't tied up now as she had been untied for good behaviour. But Bert was sat close to her. The guy still pointing to her head.

"Tick tock tick tock, tick tock goes the clock." Bert repeated this over and over. He was sat with a daze in his expression.
"When do you think their going to be back?" Jenny dared to speak.
Bert broke from his stare and focused on Jenny.
"Soon, don't worry you're pretty head." He replied. He went back to staring into space. Minutes passed and nothing changed. Jenny wondered if he'd ever shut up.

There was a loud knocking from below. Some one was at the door. Bert rose from his chair, keeping the gun pointed at Jenny as he went to the window. Peeking throught the gap in the curtain, Bert saw a police car parked in the drive.

"Shit!!" He gasped as they continued to bang. Jenny considered running for the window and screaming, or trying to get out the door of the bedroom and down the steps. She looked as Bert took the gun away from her for a spilt second. He continued to look at the police below. Jenny didn't know whether Frank was back, or who it was at the door. But she didn't care. She lept up from her seat as quietly as she could and made for the door. She had her hand on the handle as Bert turned and saw she was leaving. He yelled at her, but she carried on running. The front door was at the opisite side of the house to where the bottom of the stairs were. she was half way down when Bert reached the top. He yelled for her to stop but she carried on running. He took the gun and pointed at her. Then he pulled the trigger.

The sound shattered through the house. The bullet left the barrel, traveling towards the fleeing woman. It struck her in the lower back as she ran. Apon contact it shattered her pelvis, sending her falling down the remaining steps. She now lay at the bottom, her head bleeding from the blow of it hitting the floor. She layed, her eyes flickering at the numbing pain. She lay for a few seconds on the fringe of life as the police out side ran to there car and radioed to the main office that shots were heard. Bert continued down the steps, reaching the bottom, he side stepped over the nearly lifeless body of the womam he had shot. He continued along the hallway.