When I Come Around

Nightmares

"Noooooo!" I woke up screaming.

"Shit!" I cursed under my breath and looked at my alarm clock. 12:00.

I had that dream again. I have it every single night. Wait, that's not a dream, it's a nightmare. I keep seeing how my mom, dad and my sister sit on a plane and the plane crashes into a big building. But this time it wasn't the same. Mike was in it too and the plain crashed into his house. I saw them all burn to death. You know, they say, that it helps if you think about it, but it doesn't.

I tried to fall asleep, but it wasn't working.

"Oh, fuck it!" I whispered quietly.

I decided to go to the living room and watch television, since I realized that I won't be able to sleep. I crept down the stairs and down the corridor past Mike's room. Then I remembered what he has told me. I silently opened the door and peered in. He looked asleep and I really didn't want to wake him, so I shut the door and made my way to the living room. I sat on the couch and covered myself with a blanket and started thinking about everything.

"Hey."

I quickly turned around. It was Mike.

"Shit, Mike. You scared me. What are you doing here?"

"I figured out, that you needed someone to talk to and plus, I had to go to the bathroom."

"Geez, I don't want to know all the details." We both laughed.

Then he asked "So, tell Uncle Mike what bothers you."

"I was just thinking, you know? How am I supposed to break the news to Sophie? Would she understand? Or is she just too young and stuff? Should I lie to her until she's old enough to understand?"

"Well... I don't know if she will understand or not, but you better not lie to her, 'cause she might hate you for that when she grows older."

"You're right. I'll try to talk to her in the morning."

"You're brave, you know that. You remind me of someone."

"Really? Who?"

"Me. Remember when I told you about my parents and stuff? Well, you remind me of me when I was much, much younger."

"Really? Well, thank you... for everything you did for me. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, kiddo."

"You know, only my dad called me like that."

"Oh, I'm sorry... I... "

"It's ok. You kinda remind me of him."

"Oh... "

I could see the pride in his eyes. I could tell that he was very happy to hear that. I really started to like him and stuff. The only thing I did not like is that I'll have to go to an orphanage and off course, the funeral...
We talked for a bit, well, actually until we fell asleep on the couch.