When I Come Around

When I Come Around Again

"What?" Me, Tre and Billie Joe said in disbelief.

"I would like to adopt Mia and Sophie." Mike repeated.

"Mr. Pitchard? Are you serious about this? You do know, that you just met them and... Well after what I saw when I came here you aren't really the best person to adopt these two girls. I mean, you act like a child! And if we look into your past... I'm sorry, but the rules are the rules."

"But... I like him! I would like him to adopt me!" I said angrily.

"Well... We'll do some background checking on Mr. Pitchard and we'll keep an eye on him for about one week and then we'll decide if he's appropriate or not. And that's final."

"That's ok. I've got nothing to hide." Mike said.

"We can guarantee, that he's very appropriate." Billie said referring to him and Tre.

"And what about you Sophie? You've been so quiet all this time. What do you think about umm... Mike?" The social worker asked Sophie.

"I love Mike. He's funny." She answered smiling.

"Ok, then. The girls will be sent to an orphanage. And I will warn you: If someone adopts them before we do our checking... You'll loose them forever."

"Ok. So there is hope for me?" Mike asked.

"Yes. From what I saw in this conversation... There certainly in a chance."

"Thank you." Mike said and hugged me.

"Well, I'll give you some time to say your goodbyes. Then I'll take Mia and Sophie to the orphanage." The social worker said and went into the hall.

We said our goodbyes and Mike promised me, that he'll do his best to adopt us. Then we walked outside together. I locked the house and Mike, Billie Joe and Tre went home.

"What about the house?" I asked Cassie (the social worker).

"I'll send our people to get all your stuff and then we'll sell the house. Of course all of the money will belong to you and Sophie." She answered and opened the car door.

We got in the back seat and she drove to the orphanage. She opened the door and gave us a complete tour of the "house". It was massive. There were 100 children from 0 to 18 years of age here! And plus 30 workers. Then she led us to our room.

"Well, this will be your room from now on. The time table is on the door and your stuff will be brought to you this afternoon. Oh, and if you need something you know where my office is." She said and left the room.

I looked at the time table. What time is it?
I looked at the clock on the wall: 10: 15.
Then I looked back to the time table: 10:30= visitors.

Visitors?
Then I remembered what she has told me. Every day form 10:30 to 11: 30 people will come and talk to us and if they liked us they'll adopt us.
Great...I lied on the bed and fell asleep. I think Sophie fell asleep too.
I woke up when someone knocked on the door.

"Yes!" I said.

A young woman around 20 came in and said: "Hello! My name is Becky and I came to take your sister, Sophie."

"What? Why?" I asked.

"Someone wants to adopt her."

"Really? No, that can't be right! We just got here."

"I'm sorry, but this is how we work around here."

"Yeah, right... " I mumbled and said goodbye to Sophie.

Why? Why her? Why right now? Oh, Mike, you better hurry before someone else adopts me.

***

The next five days were really boring for me. Every day the same thing. Boring, boring, boring. Thank God, nobody adopted me. But I'm still sorry for Sophie...

"Oh, look it's 10:30 again... " I said out loud and made my way to the place, where we're supposed to be until the visiting hours are over. I sat on one of the sofas and that social worker, Cassie Brown came to me in a extremely happy mood. I haven't seen her since the first day I came here.

"Hi, Mia." She said.

"Hi miss Brown." I replied.

"Oh, please call me Cassie. And it seems that your lucky day finally came. Will you please step to my office with me?"

"Sure." I said in a weird kind of way.

What kind of a lucky day? Is Mike here? No, that can't be... It's not a week jet...

She opened the door and there he was! Mike came to adopt me!

He turned around and I ran into his arms for a hug.

"Oh, I'm so happy to see you! So is everything ok?" I said sitting in one of the chairs in front of Cassie's desk.

"I'm happy to see you too. And yes, everything is great! I can finally adopt you! I'm sorry about Sophie though."

"Well, Mr. Pitchard, and miss Black or should I say miss Pitchard? Anyways, you're free to go." Cassie said.

"Thank you. And by the way... I prefer miss Dirnt." I said and walked out of the office with Mike.

He led me out to his BMW and we drove to his house. To our house I corrected myself. Cause after all this is gonna be my new home.