Trying and Failing.

Chapter Three

It all started with the conversation in the kitchen. She was eleven and strongly influenced by those around her.

Her mother and the neighbor lady stood in the kitchen whispering aggressively to each other.

“Are you serious?” her mother asked harshly.

“I know, I know. What has the world come to?” the neighbor lady said.

“There are sites like that?”

“Yes!”

“ I never thought a disease like that would make it here. I mean, Anorexia! I thought that was only for models and movie stars.”

“ I guess not. The world is changing, LeAnn; it does that.”

Her mother’s mouth fell into a thin line as she slowly shut down. Katherine had seen this happen a lot. Since her father killed himself, her mother’s mouth disappeared almost daily. Her eyes became dark, and nothing could make her budge. Thankfully, the lady knew it was time for her to leave.

“What’s Anorexia, mom?” Katherine asked.

“Don’t they teach you those things in school?” she asked bitterly. Katherine knew better then to ask her anything when her lips disappeared.

So what did she do? She typed the word into the Google toolbar, her curiosity having gotten the best of her. She just couldn’t resist any longer.

Her monitor was spammed with grotesque pictures and sickeningly detailed facts and helpful tips for starting and recovering.

She looked slowly at each picture, and she read the same facts and statistics over and over until they were permanently burned into her brain. She felt fat compared to the girls they showed. She never once thought of them as sick, only beautiful. Perfect.

It’s been said that some people are just born with addictive personalities and some are taught to be that way. She was the latter; her father’s words had influenced her greatly throughout her life. She thought she was perfect enough for him, but once she saw these women, she knew she wasn’t enough. What if he loved them more? What if he was tired of looking over her, and he just gave up? What would she do then? But no! That couldn’t happen; she couldn’t let it. She had to be perfect, and, if this was what she needed to do, she would.
She would make sure she was his perfect angel, no matter what that job entailed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mostly just a filler.
Thanks to Isis for all the help with this story.