Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Release the Bats: Junior Style

(Kayla’s POV)
I sat there looking at my brand new bass in my lap. Mom, Aunt Chrissy, Katie, and I had a shopping day, and of course I dragged Mom to my favorite guitar store. I practically go there every single day, whether it’s with Katie, Pete, Drew, or by myself. If my parents go with me, it is because I finally convinced them to get me a guitar or any instrument that I’ve been in love with forever. I go in there so much that the people working there know my name. I’m excited. When I turn 16, I could get a job there. Wait, let me explain some things to you. I’m Kayla Evelyn Wentz. You could probably tell from my last name that I’m a “famous” girl. My father is, of course, Pete Wentz from the band Fall Out Boy. My mom, Erelin Wentz, is the manager of Panic! At The Disco and other various bands that are under my daddy’s record label. I also have a twin brother, Peter, of course named after my dad. It’s a tradition, but I think sometimes he gets annoyed by it.

My brother and I are mutts. We’re half Filipino, from our mom, and German and a bunch of other stuff from my dad. So you can tell which traits I get from which parents. I think the only thing that I get from both parents are the smile and eyes. I have brown eyes just like them and high cheek bones to show off my big smile. You can tell the chinkiness comes from my mom's side but my nose from my dad. That's what makes my mom happy, the fact that we got my dad's nose. I originally have natural black hair, but I decided to dye it sometimes. Some red highlights here or blue ones there. Right now though, it's just black. My parents have been together forever. They never really told us about how they met and stuff. All I know is that they have been together forever, with obstacles of course. Anyway enough with this explanation crap.

We were coming home from the store as a girl’s day out. I don’t know what Mom and Aunt Chrissy were doing, but she wasn’t really happy when we walked out of Hot Topic with purchases over $450. And it was only for Pete and me.

“Kayla, get the receipt out of the Hot Topic bag. I don’t want your father to flip out on me.” Mom said as she pulled into the driveway of our huge house.

I fished out the long receipt and handed it to Mom who crumpled it up and shoved it in her purse. We all got out of the car and grabbed the bags of our purchases. I looked over the lawn to see Drew, Katie’s brother, holding a video camera.

“Hey Drew.” Katie and I said at the same time.

“New bass?” He asked as he pointed to the case in my hand.

He looked a littler paler than usual. His skin tone is pale just like his whole family, but it wasn’t the normal pale.

“Of course.” I responded.

“Drew, you don’t look too good.” Katie said looking at her brother either strangely or concerned.

“Drew, where’s Petey?” Mom asked as her and Chrissy walked over to us.

“Uhhhh…” he said nervously.

“Drew, you ready?”

We looked up to see my dumb ass brother on top of the roof of the garage that was attached to our huge house. I giggled as I looked at Mom, who was of course freaking out.

“PETER LEWIS KINGSTON WENTZ IV, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THAT ROOF WITH AN UMBRELLA?” Mom yelled.

“Hi… Mom. Back so soon?” he said nervously.

“Alright you guys. Get that over with. We have something awesome afterwards.”

I looked over at Dad who was walking out the house with a blow torch, with Uncle Andy following. Dad stopped dead in his tracks only to be bumped into by Uncle Andy. Dad nervously looked at Mom, who had that motherly stance. You know, the one with her hand on her hip, the eyebrow raised, tapping of the foot, and her head tilted to the side.

“Hi honey. How was the mall?” Dad said, trying to hide the already seen blow torch.

“Pete…What are you doing?” Mom asked in a calm voice.

“Andy, what’s behind your back?” Chrissy said.

I looked over at her to see that she had the same look as Mom, but to Andy instead.

“Nothing.” Andy and Dad said at the same time.

“Everyone in the house now!” Mom and Chrissy commanded.

“But…”

“No but’s from all of you. Now go.” Mom said.

Petey climbed down the ladder on the side of the house, and everyone when inside to the kitchen. Us kids, Dad, and Andy sat at the huge table as Mom and Chrissy stood around the table. Dad and Andy set down on the table the blow touch and the tennis balls and fire fluid that was behind Andy’s back.

“What were you guys doing?” Mom asked.

It grew silent as Drew and Petey looked at each other, holding in laughter as their fathers did the same thing.

“Speak now, or there will be consequences.” Chrissy said.

“If neither Peter’s speak, I will be enabling the security code again on that studio downstairs.”

“If neither Andrew’s speak, I will be doing the same thing as well.”

Mom had that security code installed when she realized that Pete and I get into a lot of trouble sometimes. Mostly Petey though. We are both good kids, don’t get me wrong. But when Petey decided to skate board while holding on to a rope that was attached to Dad’s car that Dad was driving, Mom decided to change some things.

“Ok! I wanted to jump of the roof with an umbrella.” Petey said, hanging his head in shame.

“PETEY!” Dad said as he slapped him upside the head.

“I don’t want to lose my instrument privileges again!” Petey whined.

“You know I could have easily got the code out of your mother.” Dad said.

“Honey!” Mom exclaimed.

“Ewww don’t even tell me how you could get it out of her.” I said in disgust.

All us kids shuttered as the adults snickered underneath their breaths. Sometimes I wonder what my parents were like when they were our age. If they were actually good or not. I highly doubt it though.

“Where did you get this idea?" Chrissy asked.

Petey and Drew looked at Dad and Andy with smirks on their faces. Dad and Andy looked everywhere but Mom and Chrissy.

"Don't tell me you found your fathers' DVD of 'Release the Bats.' " Chrissy said.

"Ok...We didn't find the DVD of 'Release the Bats.' " Drew said, trying to keep a straight face.

"Honey, I thought you hid that from them." Mom said.

"I did." Dad said with that lying face he always has.

Mom shook her head in disappointment.

"For a week, no instruments for the both of you. I don't care." Mom said.

"WHAT?!" Petey and Dad said at the same time.

"Can't I have a better, sexier punishment?" Dad asked, looking at Mom with a look.

Mom just looked at Dad with a stern look, but it looked like she was trying to hold in all kinds of giggles. Eww. I don’t want the idea that my parents still do it. I looked over at Drew who looked sick to his stomach.

“Drew, you ok?” I asked.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Chrissy said as she rushed to her son’s side.

“My stomach.” He moaned.

Katie, who was sitting next to closer to him, poked his stomach repeatedly. I looked like he had gotten pregnant or something from the way he was sitting. The poking that his sister was doing caused him to burp loudly.

“Stop… Katie! That… hurts!” He said.

“What’s wrong, sweetie.” Chrissy said.

Did I tell you that he was a Momma’s boy? Definitely is.

“What in the…”

I looked over to see Mom holding a gallon size can of condense milk.

“Where on earth did you get this?” Mom asked.

I started to put the pieces together, and I think Mom and Aunt Chrissy knew as well. In an instant, I grabbed the video camera and started to rewind the tape. I hit play as Katie, Mom, and Chrissy crowded around me. We watched as Dad and Andy open the can of condense as Drew, the other doofus that he is, eat half the contents in the can by itself.

“Eww, Drew! That’s gross!” Katie said.

"I don't feel so good." Drew groaned.

"Hurley's in the car now." Chrissy said

"Petey go to your room, Pete go to our's.” Mom commanded

"Am I gonna get punished?" Dad said as he wiggled his eyebrows at Mom. Parents and love... yuck.

"Yes, and this is it. Two weeks grounded both of you." Mom said.

"After all that condense milk is out of your system, you will be getting the same punishment as well." Chrissy said.

Katie and I giggled in joy. Don't get me wrong, that sucks to not have instruments for two weeks, but I get to have the studio to myself. I can never get away sometimes from everyone.

"Shut up you. Mom doesn't know about the..."

"Don't even start, Pete!" I yelled.

"No one start. Go to your room now!" Mom said.

"We better get you home before you throw up all over the kitchen." Aunt Chrissy said.

"Let him. I'll make Dumb and Dumb Jr. clean it up." Mom said.

"Psh... I'll make Dumber and Dumber Jr. clean it up as well."

We all said our goodbyes as the Hurley clan left. I gave Katie a hug and told her to call me later to give me info on punishments that Drew has to receive. Pete and I did our little secret handshake that we always do when we do something bad, or just in general.

"I'm tired. Honey, can you get my wallet so I can order dinner tonight."

Dad took out Mom's wallet, and the crumbled receipt from Hot Topic.

"What's this?" Dad asked as he un-crumbled it.

“Nothing." Mom said as she tried to grab it from Dad's hands.

"Hot Topic... $400?!?!? What did you get?" Dad asked as he looked at Mom in disbelief.

Mom gave that smirk and shrugged her shoulders innocently.

"What's this?" Dad asked playfully and wrapped arms around Mom, tickling her.

"OK!!" Mom yelled.

Dad then leaned over and kissed Mom. They started to get all touchy and... ewww.

"Ok, I think I'm gonna throw up, and I didn't even eat the condense milk." Peter said in disgust.

"Oh shut up. Once you experience this, you'll be exactly like us." Dad said as Mom rested her head on Dad's shoulder, their arms still around each other.

"Psh... yea right." Pete said.

I agreed to Pete's comment, but somehow I wish I had that. I wish that someone would hold me like that. Sometimes I get jealous at what my parents have because I'm in love with my best friend who happens to be best friends with my brother as well.