Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Insides X-Rayed

{Katie’s Point Of View}

Just as I settled between the blankets and got comfortable I heard someone come up the stairs. Judging by the footsteps and the fact that he always jumps the creaky step, I knew it was Drew. I rolled over so that I couldn’t see the door. If I pretended to be asleep, maybe he’d not come in and wake me up. Light flooded into the room as he opened the door.

“Katie? You awake?”

Hopefully my silence would make him go away.

“Katie?”

I held my breath hoping he would still leave. The room got darker meaning he closed the door; I thought I got lucky and he had left, but no luck. I heard him pick his way through the various stuff that I had lying on the floor that my mother and father had told me to pick up but somehow I never got around to picking up. Drew stopped moving for a few seconds then jumped on the foot of my bed.

“Drew it better be fucking important.”

“I just wanted to see how my favorite sister was doing.”

“I was trying to sleep.”

“And I wanted to ask your advice on something, that is the girl part of you.”

I groaned and turned around on my bed. I opened my eyes and stared at him. In the darkness I could see he was looking at me but was hugging his knees.

“What Andrew? I can’t guarantee anything when you wake me up.”

“You weren’t, asleep don’t lie.”

“What do you want?” I whined in return

Drew sighed and hugged his knees a little tighter

“Hypothetically, what would you do if you think your friend’s sibling had a crush on you?” he
asked quickly.

“Who?” I asked sitting bolt upright.

“Doesn’t matter” he responded curtly.

“I think it does Andrew”

“No it doesn’t Katherine.”

“Fine, be that way. But it does matter how close the friend is.”

“Close”

“Like best friend close?”

“No” He answered a little too quickly for me to believe him

“Well,” I took a deep overdramatic breath. “I guess it would depend on how you feel about this girl who has a crush on you.”

“This was a hypothetical situation.” He almost sounded angry that I was figuring this all out in my head.

“You didn’t answer the question; it depends on how you feel about this friend’s sibling.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, oh so clueless older brother of mine, if you like the person, tell them, if you don’t, well, bring it up that your just friends, nothing more.”

Kisses on the necks of just friends… God I hope he didn’t kiss her.

“Right”

“So which one are you going to do?”

“Neither.”

“Drew, don’t be an asshole to Kayla.”

There is a saying that involves straw breaking camels’ backs, and this is defiantly a
situation where this applies. I said the one word that he did not want to hear. Moreover, I said it in context to the situation that he thought he was hiding from me.

“I never said it was Kayla.”

“You never said it wasn’t Kayla”

With that he got up and left the room.