Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Like Mother, Like Daughter

(Erelin’s POV)

Kayla insisted that we take her dress shopping even though Pete and I were still a little shocked about her going to prom with Drew. Pete even insisted on coming with us, just so he can make sure she gets a nice dress, “not one where he can easily take off,” in Pete’s words. So on the way to the mall, we picked up Katie, and dropped off Petey to hang out with Drew. Pete, Kayla, Katie, and I arrived at the mall, and we started at one end of the mall in search for a prom dress.

“Mom, did Dad really have to come with us?” Kayla asked me as we searched through racks as Pete was sulking on a chair near the dressing room.

“Your father insisted. I told him it wasn’t a good idea because I knew you wouldn’t like it, but he just kept saying he was coming along.” I said as I gave a disgusted look at a bright neon dress that looked like it was the color of peas.

“He better not say that every single dress is too revealing then.”

“Kayla, he’s still gonna do that. He's your father. It’s just the fact that you’re growing up and already going to prom when you’re a sophomore in high school. He’s just a little scared.”

“But didn’t you and Daddy go to his prom when you were my age. I know he’s a year older than you.”

“Yes…”

“Then why is he so worried then?”

“Let’s just say your father knows just how my father felt when I went to prom with him my sophomore year. You’ll understand when you have children.” I said as we left the store and headed off to a new store, with Pete in tow.

As we searched more and more, it was hard to find a dress for Kayla that she liked.

“Honey, what’s wrong with this dress?” Pete asked as he picked up a bright yellow one.

“I don’t want to look like a banana, Daddy.” Kayla said.

"Hahaha a brown banana..." Katie said.

"KATIE! SEE DADDY!" Kayla whined.

“I like it. Besides, it looks like the dress that Belle had in ‘Beauty and the Beast.’” Pete said as he put the dress back.

“Then what kind of dress are you looking for?” Katie asked as she put a dress back.
“Honestly, I want something simple. A nice, simple dress. I don’t like going all out.” Kayla said looking at more dresses.

“That sounds a bit familiar.” Pete said as he raised his eyebrows and looked at me.

“Well she is my daughter.” I said with a smile.

“What?” Kayla asked as she looked back from Pete then to me.

"So Pete was wrong. Kayla's not adopted?" Katie said.

"How can they be adopted if they are twins and look exactly alike?" I asked.

"I don't know. Don't mind me. I drank Mountain Dew before I came." Katie said.

I giggled, remembering the times me and her mother were her age drinking as much Mountain Dew as possible. Let's just say no one could calm us down nor comprehend us. Plus, her father is Andy. He drinks it before he performs. We all go wild every time we drink it.

"Wait, you didn't answer my question. How am I like mom when it comes to dresses?" Kayla asked

“You sound just like me whenever I have to get a dress. For my proms, I bought simple dresses. Even for my own wedding, I wanted something simple. I believe that the more simple you look, the more elegant you look. You don’t want to fall down flat on your face or have a hard time getting out of the limo for your first prom when wearing a huge 12 layer dress.” I said as Pete wrapped his arm around me.

“Wow Mom. Then how come in one of the pictures in the photo album, you’re wearing a huge poofy one?”

“Because I had lost a bet with your Aunt Chrissy. I had to wear that, very much to my dismay, to an awards show for your father’s band and for your Uncle Jon’s band” I said.

“That was funny. You almost did fall. I had to hold on to you just so you could keep your balance.” Pete said laughing.

“That wasn’t funny. Wearing that dress was worse than carrying nine month old twins. I think I had back problems just trying to stand up.” I fired back.

“What did you do with that dress?” Katie asked.

“It’s hanging all the way in the back of my closet. That dress was huge. It takes my whole wardrobe that’s hanging to evenly weigh down that dress.” I said with relief.

We continued looking for dresses as we searched practically every single store in the whole mall.

“I give up. Why is it so hard?” Kayla asked as we drove home from dropping off Katie and picking up Petey.

“Don’t worry, Honey. We’ll find something. We’ve got a good two months until you really need a dress.” I said turning around and facing her as Pete drove home.

“I know. I’m just worried.” She said as she stared out through her window.

“We understand. But don’t freak out too much. We don’t want to have to stress out way too much over a dress.” Pete said.

She looked even more sad and continued to stare out the window. When we reached home, I started to cook dinner for the family. Petey was downstairs in the studio probably writing more. He is just like his father. Kayla was upstairs somewhere as well. Probably trying to find a decent prom dress online. As I was about to call Petey to set the table, Pete had come downstairs with the face that he always has when he’s hiding something.

“What is it this time?” I asked immediately.

“What?” He asked innocently.

“I know that look on your face, Honey. I’ve know you for 27 years. What are you scheming in your head?” I asked as I walked over to intercom system.

“Nothing.” He said again.

I shook my head and pressed the “speak” button on the intercom.

“Petey, set the table now.” I said as it echoed through out the whole house.

No answer.

“Petey…” I said again into the intercom.

“Kayla, Mom said to set the table.” Petey said through the intercom.

“Do you think I’m stupid. Mom just told you.” Kayla said a few seconds later.

“How about you set the table.” I said impatiently though the speaker.

“But Mom, you disturbed me during a writing session.” He said echoing through the whole house.

“That sounds a bit familiar, doesn’t it?” I said as I turned around and looked at Pete.

He gave me that doofy smile I fell for 27 years ago and shrugged his shoulders.

“He is my son.” Was all he could say.