Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Better Safe Then Sorry

(Kayla’s POV)

“Hey Katie.” I said as she barged into my room.

“Hey.” She said as she lied down next to me on my bed, throwing her purse on the floor.

I was on my laptop in my room figuring out hair styles that would look good for prom.

“I like that hair style.” Katie said as she looked over my shoulder, pointing to the one that was pulled back with loops bobby pined in the back.

“Me too. Hey I’m thirsty, you want anything.”

“Mountain Dew.”

“Ok.” I said as I got up.

I was crawling off the bed as Katie took over my laptop, looking at the hairstyles I had up. I somehow fell off the bed and landed next to her purse, the contents spilled onto the ground. The neat freak that I am sometimes, I put everything back. As I put the last of the many lip balms that Katie had and will eventually lose but find a couple days later back in, I grabbed something familiar that I always kept in my purse as well.

“You finally got them?” I said.

“Got what?” Katie said.

I raised my hand and showed the small compact filled with birth control pills.

“Way to look through my stuff.”

“I didn’t. When you threw your purse, your stuff fell out. I cleaned it up for you. It’s a good thing I saw them before Drew and Petey would come barging in. Drew still thinks you’re his innocent little sister.”

“And I am. I would say that they are your’s and if he doesn’t believe me, I’ll say you made me get them.”

“Technically, I didn’t though. You asked me. And I said that my mom put me on them when she saw changes in me. She said something like since my dad started to notice I started growing boobs, he was scared that they would be fondled by horny teenage boys pretty soon. Then she said something about how my dad blamed her for having big boobs run in the family. Not like we can help it…” I said as I got up and kneeled by the bed facing Katie.

“And what size bra are you now?”

“I don’t know but my mom is complaining about how I’m going through more and more bras now.”

“Question though, have they been fondled before?”

“Yes by your brother…”

I tried to hold in laughter as I saw the disgust in Katie’s face. She tried to say something, but couldn’t.

“But….” She said as she whimpered in disgust.

I burst out in laughter at her reaction. She then grabbed a pillow and threw it at me.

“Eww never say that please. That’s just gross to hear about my best friend and my brother.”

“Sorry jeez…”

“Eww.” She said as she shuttered in disgust.

“So how did you ask your mom…”

“She sort of looked at me funny. Like I shouldn’t know what they are and that fact that I was sort of demanding it.”

“So you were basically just like, ‘Hey Mom, if you don’t want to have grandkids now, I suggest you put me on birth control before I go wild.”

“Uhhh no… It sort of came out. Like ‘Hey Mom, is it ok if I go on birth control since Grandma told me that you were put on it at my age. And that Grandma was like it helped for almost the first decade and then she mumbled something after that.’ ”

“Ahhh I see. And what did your mom say…”

“She sort of sighed and said she would call the doctor the next day.”

“Ahh at least your mom told you ahead of time. My mom just told me that day and dragged me to the doctor. She said she had setup the appointed the day before and never got to tell me.” I said as I rolled me eyes.

“Maybe it was just to reassure your dad. Does he know by the way?”

“Nope… how about you?”

“No. And Mom wants to keep it that way.”

“Yea that’s…”

“Kayla Evelyn Wentz come down here now.” Mom said through the intercom.

“Crap… Full name.” I groaned as Katie got up and followed me downstairs.