Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Believe In Me 'Cause I'll Believe In You Tonight

(Kayla's POV)

“Hey Mom, can you zip me a little?” I asked as I came out of my little walk in closet in my prom dress.

She walked over and zipped up the last of my dress. It was a blood red, but not too dark. I would say between an apple red and a blood red. It looked perfect. It wasn’t too poofy at the bottom. It came out just a little bit. It was strapless, which I hope Dad would not care about. He didn’t seem to mind when I showed him the dress online.

I walked over to my full length mirror on my wall and examined myself. Everything looked perfect. Mom did my makeup. I had just came from the hair place hours before. I smiled to myself as Mom came behind me and looked as well.

“You look amazing.” Mom said with a big smile.

It looked like she was ready to cry.

“Thanks, Mom.” I said.

Everything was complete. Drew and his family was going to be here soon. I was missing something though. I checked to see if I had everything. I have Drew’s flower, my purse has all the essentials, the camera, my phone, my lipgloss, mirror. Drew had the form to take pictures. I had my garter on, my earrings… my necklace. I completely forgot to put that on. I walked over to my dresser to get my necklace which was gone.

“Oh no.” I said.

“What’s wrong honey?” Mom asked as she fixed my bathroom since my makeup was lying around every where.

“I can’t find my necklace. I didn’t put it on yet. Just my earrings. I can’t remember where I put it!!” I said as I frantically searched my room.

After ten minutes of Mom and I searching and figuring out where it could be, I gave up. I tried to hold back tears, for the sake if my sanity and my make up that I did not want to ruin.

“Honey, wait here. I have an idea.” She said with a smile.

She left my room for a bit as I tried to search for it some more. A couple of minutes later she back into my room.

“Close your eyes.” She said.

“Mom, I don’t have time for this…”

“I’m you’re mother. I know how you think. Trust me on this one.”

“Fine.” I said.

I closed my eyes for a few seconds. I then felt something around my neck.

“Ok. Look into the mirror now.”

I opened my eyes and walked over to my full length mirror again. I looked at my neck. It was a beautiful necklace. Very simple too. A beautiful diamond pendant that was hanging from a silver simple chain. Just a diamond stud.

“You don’t want to go too overboard with the necklace. I chose this one.”

“Mom. It’s beautiful. I’ve never seen this before though.”

Mom had a lot of jewelry. She always wore different necklaces and earrings at parties. When she’s just around us though, she wears a necklace with a ring attached to it. Dad said that he gave that to her as a joke when he first met her. He says it’s a toy ring. I think other wise since it’s lasted pretty long.

“Where did you get this? I’ve never seen this one before.”

“Your father gave it to me for our first year anniversary when we started dating. Your dress actually looks like one of the dresses I wore for prom, and I wore that necklace with it. It looks better on you than on me. I don’t wear it that much anymore.”

“Awww Mom. I love it. Thanks” I said as I gave her a hug.

“If you like it so much, you can wear it, but only on special occasions. That necklace is very important to your father and me. Promise me you won’t lose it?” She said.

“I promise.” I said.

All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. I smiled for joy. My very first prom with the guy that I like. I was a little nervous though since I was a year younger and that my dad and brother won’t hurt Drew.

“Kayla, Drew’s here!” Petey said in the intercom.

“She’s coming.” Mom screamed out.

“Are you all set? Do you have everything fixed?” Mom said afterwards.

“Yea, I’m ready to go!” I said trying to my excitement in.

“Ok then, ready?”

“Yea.”

“Well then let’s go.” She said with a smile.

Mom opened the door and walked out with me following her.

“Stay here.” She said as she stopped me at the top of the stairs.

She ran downstairs and said hello to everyone.

“Is she ready?” I heard Drew say.

“Yup she is. Kayla? Ready?” Mom said first to Drew, then yelled to me.

I held in all nerves and walked down the stairs. I reached the bottom step and turn to face everyone in the living room. Petey, Katie, Dad and Uncle Andy were sitting down on the couches. Drew, Mom, and Aunt Chrissy were standing there waiting for me. I looked at Drew and smiled. It was sort of hard to read his expression at first, but when I noticed his mouth drop, I blushed.

“Hi Drew.” I said with a smile.

“Hi… Kayla. Wow you look amazing.” He said.

“Thanks.”

After that was a blur. My mom and Aunt Chrissy were awing and smiling at us. I looked over at Petey who wasn’t too happy, but oh well. Katie came over to us and gave me a hug.

“Just please don’t lose your virginity tonight.” Katie said as she whispered in my ear.

“Katie!” I exclaimed.

She just smiled and hugged her brother, while also whispering something in his ear which caused him to say her name as well.

“Ok well come on let’s take pictures…Kay and Drew” Chrissy said

*Flash* *Flash*

Drew putting on my corsage.

*Flash* Flash*

Me trying so hard not to poke Drew and me as I put on Drew’s boutonniere.

*Flash* *Flash*

“Katie, Drew, and Kayla” Mom said.

*Flash* *Flash*

“Petey, Drew, and Kayla

*Flash*

“Petey, smile!” Mom said.

*Flash*

“Alright, How about the parents now?” Andy said.

Mom, Dad, Drew and Me.

*Flash* *Flash*

Chrissy, Andy, Drew and Me.

*Flash* *Flash*

Mom, Dad, Petey and Me.

*Flash* *Flash*

Andy, Chrissy, Drew, and Katie.

*Flash* Flash*

“Ok, We need to go. I think I’m blind.” Drew said blinking repeatedly.

“Me too.” I said.

“Ok. Well you guys have fun. Be careful. And don’t be out too late with friends!!” Mom said as she gave me a hug.

“You look beautiful.” Dad said as he hugged me.

“Thanks, Daddy.” I said with a smile.

“Bye Petey.”

He mumbled a goodbye and nothing more. I said good bye to Katie and Drew’s parents and headed off to the car.

“My Lady, Your chariot awaits!” Drew said as he pointed to his Honda Civic.

I giggled as he opened my door.

“You’re such a gentleman.” I said as I got in.

*************
The food was delicious. I felt so fancy for some strange odd reason. Everything seemed like a fairy tale. Drew and I in fancy clothing, talking to each other softly and eating a fancy dinner. It just seemed magical, and I couldn’t help but feel so many good emotions right now. They announced prom court which we weren’t paying attention to. We didn’t really care. I talked to some of my friends who were able to go to prom with people in Drew’s grade. We all sat with each other. I was having a blast… until disaster came.

“Hi Drew.”

I looked over to see Jessica sitting on the other side of Drew. Travis Skiba, son of Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio, must have wondered off somewhere since they were done serving dessert.

“Oh God.” I said.

“Hello Kayla.” Jessica said as she gave me a dirty look.

“Hi.” I muttered.

“So this was your prom date?” Jessica asked.

“Yea… Why?” Drew said.

“Why her?”

“Am I invisible or something??? I can hear you” I said with a nasty tone.

“I wasn’t talking to you, Emo Fag.”

“Excuse me, what did you call her?” Drew asked angrily.

“Nothing…”

“No you called her an Emo Fag. No one calls my friends that especially one that I have known since birth. Why don’t you change back to your normal clothes and go back to your corner.” Drew said as he stood up.

“What?!?! I knew I shouldn’t have gone for you. All you Emo Fags can go to your own corner and slit each other’s wrists for all I fucking care.” Jessica screamed at Drew and Me.

With that she turned around and walked away. Luckily, the music the DJ was loud enough to drown her voice so no one else, but Drew and I could hear it. Drew sat down and looked over at me.

“You ok?” He asked.

“Yea, I’m fine. Thanks for sticking up for me.” I said.

“Anytime.” He said as he flashed me a smile.

I smiled back as I tried to keep my composure from swooning too much.

“Wanna dance?” Drew asked as ‘Tonight Tonight’ from the Smashing Pumpkins had come on out of nowhere.

“I would love to.” I said.

We got up and walked over to the dance floor. I started to get nervous as he put his arms around my waist. I then put my arms around his neck and shoulders. We swayed to the beat. Every few seconds he pulled me closer to him.

“Don’t get your hopes up.” I thought to myself.

“You’re just here as friends. Nothing more.” I added.

Well crucify the insincere tonight
Well make things right, well feel it all tonight
Well find a way to offer up the night tonight
The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight
Believe in me ‘cause I’ll believe in you, tonight


As the song ended, Drew and I were so close that he sang the song in my ear. Except he changed the end of it. We got so use to hearing Uncle Brendon singing it differently. Originally, it’s sung “Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight.” Instead, Drew sang it “Believe in me ‘cause I’ll believe in you tonight.” It had brought chills down my spine. After that song, hip hop started to play. We both then sat back down with all our friends at the table following suite. When a rock song would come on, all of us would rush on the dance floor and mosh and jump. Drew and I would still dance at slow songs, but I guess nothing really beats our dance to “Tonight, Tonight.” I never thought I could be happy my whole entire life. Oh God, I’m getting my hopes up again….