Messed Up Youthful Innocence

So Many Kids But I Only See you

{Drew's point of view}

We pulled up to the Wentz’s house and I helped Kayla out of the car. I helped her up the stairs to her front door and she turned to face me.

“Thanks for going with me Kayla.”

“It’s no problem Drew honestly.”

I looked around nervously. I had a feeling her parents were asleep, they trusted me, but Petey on the other hand thought I was up to no good. He’s smarter than everyone thinks. I couldn’t see anyone in the front windows so I figured it was clear.

“Kayla, look, you don’t know what it means that you said yes to going with me.”

“What are best friend’s sisters for?” She asked smiling

“Pete’s gonna kill me.” I whispered noticing my tie was still loosely around her neck.

“Why? And which one?”

“Because of this” I mumbled before I leaned in and kissed her. I was done lying to myself; I had no problem continuing to lie to Petey or Pete to save our skins though. She looked back at me with a shocked look, the quickly changed to a smile. She then shook her head.

“They’re not going to kill you, well my brother might, but you can take him.” She returned my nervous smile.

“So, um, do you want to go out with me?”

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted you to say that.”

I slipped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer to me, kissing her again. We stood outside her door for a few minutes before Kayla fished her house key out of her tiny purse.
We walked up the stairs hand in hand halfway up she stopped dead I turned to look at her.

“What’s wrong?”

“I forgot”

“What?”

“My garter” she said stepping one step up from me.

“Uh, do you want me to?” I blinked slowly. I asked a girl out less than five minutes ago and I
think she wants me to go up her dress.

“I took off your tie”

“True”

She grabbed her dress and lifted a section of it so I could see her garter, right above her knee. Come on Drew, it’s only a leg. I reached over tugging delicately on the black lace and red satin garter. I pulled it down, past her calf and stopped momentarily at her high heeled shoe. This felt like Cinderella and the glass slipper. The lace got caught on the edge of her heel but I untangled it than stood straight up.
We stood awkwardly close together before she leaned in the extra inch and we kissed again. I opened my mouth and deepened the kiss. She responded by wrapping her arms around my neck. We broke apart for breath, again nervously smiling. I laced my fingers with hers before stepping up to join her.
She smiled flashing her bright white teeth as we walked up the remaining stairs but when we reached the top landing we quickly separated not wanting our five minute long romance to be discovered. We shared once last glance before she slipped into her room and I slipped into Petey’s room. Petey was passed out shirtless wrapped up in a sheet. I almost woke him up, and then thought secondly about it. Instead I found my bag on the floor and changed. Petey had two twin beds in his room because his parents didn‘t trust him with a queen. I curled up smiling under the blankets, Kayla‘s garter still in hand. In the moonlight I noticed a small charm attached to the red satin. A small music note, a single eighth note, had Kayla’s and my name engraved on one side, and prom and the date on the other side. I smiled and leaned off the bed to slip it into my bag.

I awoke the next morning to Katie jumping on the bed.

“Breakfast Drew”

“You know I went to bed only a few hours ago right?” I asked sleepily

“Oh, I know, was awoken by a giddy Kayla to tell me something that you did last night.”
There was a few seconds of silence before she raised her eyebrow at me and I caught on.

“Oh, yeah… That…”

“Yes, that.”

We walked down to breakfast together, both clad in our pajamas. I got a small smirk from
Kayla as I sat down across from her at the table. I returned one. Pete was at one end of the table with Erelin at the other end. Erelin was sitting to my left, on her laptop looking at Kayla’s pictures from last night. Kayla would occasionally look over her glass of orange juice to explain who someone in some picture was.

"Aww you two look so adorable in this picture... almost like you're dating.”

My head snapped up and glanced at Kayla who was hiding panic, I then turned to Erelin with my eyebrows raised and played dumb.

“Huh?”

"You two seriously look like me and Pete when we were your age.  Or even Chrissy and
Andy.  It’s like a clone of us put together." 

"Mom... it’s because we came from you guys." Kayla sighed

"I know. Shut up and eat your food"

I prayed neither Pete nor Petey heard that.