Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Daddy's Little Girl

(Kayla’s POV)

““Petey, Kayla, can you please go upstairs and fix all your dirty laundry so I can start doing a load. I would like to talk to your father alone.” Mom said as she tried to keep her cool.

I dashed off my seat and ran upstairs with Petey right next to me.

“See, I knew Mom and Dad would freak out… Man now I’m going to lose my best friend because Dad’s going to kill him.” Petey said.

“Shut up, Petey. Mom, Chrissy, and Andy wouldn’t let that happen to Drew.” I said.

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that. You should be happy that Dad didn’t attack Drew like I did.”

“There’s a huge difference between you and Dad. He knows how to keep in his anger when needed.” I said as I turned around from Petey and walked down the hallway to my room.

“Where are you going?” Petey said who was trying to listen to what Mom and Dad were saying.

“I’m going to text Drew. There’s no point in listening. If you were smart enough, which I highly doubt…”

“I am…”

“You would listen through the master intercom in Mom and Dad’s room since we’re upstairs.”

There were three master intercoms in the whole house. One in our parents’ room upstairs, one in the Kitchen downstairs, and in the studio in the basement.

“I’d rather do it the old fashion way…”

“…Aka you don’t know how to work it because the last time you tried, Mom and Dad yelled at your for listening because you also hit the speaker button as well.”

“Shut up, Kayla.”

“How about you shut up!”

“The reason why they are like this is because of you dating Drew.”

“You don’t think I realize that? You’re probably happy that Mom and Dad are talking about something else besides your manwhoreness.” I said as I heard the phone ring in the distance.

“I could care less if they are talking about it or not. Come on, look how Dad is with Mom. All he has to do use his charm on her and he gets his way. And you wonder where I get it from?”

All of a sudden, a huge crashing noise came from downstairs. Petey and I looked at each other and held our breaths. We knew what that meant. Dad was beyond pissed. Stupid as we are though, we ran downstairs after we heard a scream. We saw Dad in the living room next to an overturned wooden side table next to the couch in the living room. The black lamp had broke to pieces except for the shade and the cord still intact. Mom came in afterwards, holding the cordless phone. Mom sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Peter.” Mom said.
“Uhh Mom…” Petey said.

“What?”

He the pointed to the wall doorway. I looked over to see Dad had made a hole in the wall doorway. I then looked over at Dad’s hand, which was white from the dry wall and a little bloody.

“I always hated that lamp, and I’ve been wanting to repaint these walls.” Mom sighed.

“I’ll be in the studio.” Dad said as he walked past us towards the basement doors.

“Petey, can you please clean up the…”

“I’ll do it. It’s fine.” I said as I looked at Mom.

She just nodded and turned around.

“I hope you guys did get your laundry ready instead of trying to figure out how to work the master intercom to listen to what your father and I were saying.” Mom said as she walked away to the kitchen.

I then rushed upstairs to get all my dirty laundry lying on my floor and put it in a hamper. I pushed it out into the hall and left it by my door for Mom to grab. I then grabbed my phone and noticed I got a text message from Drew.

“We have been home for no more than a half and hour, and my dad is already banging on the drums hXc.”

Uh oh. That’s what Andy does when he’s really angry.

“My dad broke the black lamp in the living room, flipped over the table the lamp was on, and punched the wall. He’s in the studio now.” I texted back.

“Lesigh. I’m a little scared.”

“Don’t worry. My dad won’t hurt you! I’ll protect you some how.”

“I miss you. =[“

“I miss you too. <3”

I put my phone in my pocket and walked downstairs and grabbed the broom and swept the broken glass of the lamp up. I then swept the parts of the wall that had fallen. I grabbed a dust pan and swept it up.

“Kayla…” Mom said.

I turned around to see Mom holding the trash can so I could throw out the glass.

“Thanks.” I said.

I threw out the glass and the little remains of the damage that my dad did which was my fault. I fixed the table and put it in its correct position again.

“Kayla…”

I didn’t even notice Mom was still there.

“Your father will get past this. I swear. It’s just going to take some time. You’re his one and only little girl. He just doesn’t want to see you hurt.”

“I know, Mom. It’s just that, I don’t know why Dad is making such a big deal about me dating Drew. He’s known Drew ever since he was born.”

“Yea that’s true, but just remember you’re still his daughter who still thinks that you’re still 8 years old and sitting on his lap learning notes on bass guitar.”

“But Mom, I’m not.”

“Yea, and it’s sort of hard for him to get past that. That’s why I said it will take some time. Plus, he can’t really be angry. He would be a huge hypocrite then.”

I forgot that Mom and Dad have been high school sweethearts along with Andy and Chrissy.

“Come on. Let’s go grocery shopping so I can make dinner tonight.” Mom said.

“Can Katie come too?”

“I was actually going to call Chrissy to see if she wanted to come. Maybe have some girl time. Plus I need a new lamp which your father will be paying for.” Mom said.

“Go get ready. Go tell Petey. I’ll tell your father.”

“Ok.” I said.

I rushed to put away the broom and dust pan. Then I ran upstairs to my room to change. After I was done, I grabbed my purse.

“Petey, Mom and I are going to the store. You wanna come?” I said as I walked into his room to find him at his computer.

“No, I’ll stay home. Maybe sneak off to Drew’s house.” Petey said.

“Petey, do you need anything.” Mom said as she got into the room.

“Hmm nothing I can think of. I’ll let you know if I think of anything.”

“Ok. Come on Kayla.” Mom said.

I followed Mom down the stairs and found Dad at the foot of the stairs.

“Here.” Dad said as he pulled out his wallet, and handed Mom his credit card.

“Do you need anything?” Mom asked.

“No.” He said.

“Fine, I’ll get you Starbucks on our way home.” Mom said.

“Me too!” Petey said managing to hear what Mom had said from downstairs.

“Ok.”

“Be careful.” Dad said in a sad, dull way.

“We will.” Mom said as she kissed him on the lips.

“Bye.”

Mom walked over to the front door and unlocked it She then walked outside to the car.

“Daddy…” I said still standing there.

He looked over at me with sort of sad eyes that I can tell were a little puffy. I walked over to him and gave him a hug which he returned back. I kissed him on the cheek and let go.

“Don’t keep your Mom waiting. I’ll see you later, My Little Punk Rock Princess.” Dad said.

I smiled and nodded. I then walked outside, and Dad closed the door afterwards. I climbed into Mom’s car and put on my seatbelt.

“What happened?” Mom asked me.

“He hasn’t called me Punk Rock Princess in a while.” I said as tear fell down my cheek.

Mom just gave me a weak smile and sighed. She then backed out of the driveway and headed to the Hurley household.