Messed Up Youthful Innocence

You Are My Only Friend

(Kayla’s POV)

“Mom, Dad?” I said as I came out of my room.

Drew just called me and asked to hang out.

“In here.” Dad said from his room.

I walked down the huge hallway to their room, but not before stopping into Petey’s room, who was playing a new video game as usual.

“Hey. Drew just called and asked if we wanna come over. Want to?” I asked.

“Sure. Jeez, ever since you two started dating, he hardly calls me anymore.” Petey said as he got up from his chair to turn off the TV and Playstation.

“Well I’m sorry. I called him first.” I said as I turned around and headed straight to Mom and Dad’s room.

“Honey, are you sure you’re ok?” Dad said.

I looked over to see Mom underneath the covers while Dad was sitting at the edge of the bed, rubbing he back.

“Hi Mom, Dad. What’s wrong?” I asked as I walked towards them.

“Your Mother’s not feeling well.” Dad said.

“Ahhh Sorry, Mom. Is there anything I can get you?” I asked.

She then flipped the covers over her head and looked at me.

“No… what do you want?” She said as she eyed me suspiciously.

“How do you…”

“I am your mother. I might be sick to my stomach, but I’m not stupid.”

“Can Petey and I go to Drew’s and Katie’s house?” I asked.

Mom and Dad then both said something at the same time. Mom said “go,” and Dad said “no.” Mom and Dad then both looked at each other, glaring.

“Pete, when are you going to get over this?” Mom said.

“Never…” Dad said.

“Just go Kayla. I’ll handle him.” Mom said.

“Ok. Thanks, Mom.” I said as I kissed her on the cheek.

I, then kissed Dad on the cheek and headed out the room.

“Erelin…”

“Pete. Don’t start with me.”

“And how are you going to handle me?” Dad asked.

“Oh I don’t know…. No You can’t do that!” I heard.

I then turned around to see Dad tickling Mom.

“I swear, I’m gonna throw up on you.” Mom said.

I shook my head as I headed down the hallway to my room again and grab my purse and phone. I then went downstairs and met Petey at the bottom of the stairs

“What did Mom and Dad say?” He asked.

“Well Mom wasn’t feeling well, but she said it was fine. Dad wasn’t happy though about me going to Drew’s but Mom just let me.”

“Whatever. Come on, I’m starving.” Petey said.

“Mom! Dad! We’re going!” I yelled.

“Ok Be careful!” Dad yelled back.

Petey and I headed out to the garage to our car. Petey decided to drive with out any objection from me. I didn’t feel like driving anyways.

“Call Katie and Drew if they wanna get food.” Petey said as we backed out of the garage and driveway.

I called Katie and asked if they wanted to get food. They said sure, and told them to wait for us. We reached their house, and Petey hooked the horn for them to come outside. We of course went to Chipotle and got some food to take back to Drew’s house. Petey and Drew wanted to go back home because Drew got the same game that Petey has at home. They wanted to play. Losers. Anyway it gives Katie and I some time to talk. We really haven’t since I found out that she was dating Jake.

We got back to the house and ate our food really quick, Aunt Chrissy, a little upset by us for not bringing her Chipotle. Then she walked away mumbling something about telling Mom. We finished our food and headed upstairs to Katie’s room. The whole time she was on the phone.

“So what do you want to do?” I asked as I laid on her bed.

“Hmmm. I don’t know think of something.” she said as she smiled as she opened up her phone again.

She texted away on her phone to, I assume, Jake.

“How come you never told me about Jake?”

It’s like she had her headphones on. She’s ignoring me. I have to admit, I was like that too with Drew. We still have our moments though.

“Katie…”

Nothing.

“Katie?”

Nothing again. I rolled my eyes.

“Why the hell didn’t you tell me?!” I said as I watched Katie text away on her phone with a goofy smile on her face.

“Snap out of this!!” I said as I snapped my fingers in her face.

“What?! Oh come on, You didn’t tell me about you and Drew. Actually, I remember you not telling me about prom, then you telling me all the gross details of that night.” She said giving me a look.

“It was just a kiss. My first kiss at that. Come on Katie, we’re best friends. We tell each other everything. And the fact that I walked in on you two on my dad‘s amps!”

“You’re kidding me. You were going in there with my brother which is gross.” Katie said.

“That’s besides the point. Anyway, you didn’t even tell me that you liked Jake. And you had your first kiss, which I walked in on…”

She then gave me this look. It was sort of hard to read. I knew damn well what that look was. She was hiding something from me.

“Spill now, or I will tell everything to your brother that he wants to know from me.” I said.

“You wouldn’t.” She said as she narrowed her eyes at me.

“I would.” I said, evilly.

“Fine…” She sighed.

“It happened at your house… on New Year’s Eve.”

“What?! It’s been like 6 months! And you still haven’t told me?!” I said.

“Sorry?”

I just looked at her in shock.

“Ok you were busy with Drew this whole time. I didn’t want to disturb you. It took my brother long enough to finally ask you out. You had a lot on your plate.” She said as she put her phone down.

“I still would have listened. I feel a little hurt that you didn’t tell me. You told Wil before me! I had to find out you making out with Jake in my basement.” I said.

We looked at each other and did a small smile at each other.

“I still love you?” Katie said.

“I less than three you too.” I said.

We then lunged at each other and hugged hard core.

“Sorry I didn’t tell you. I promise I’ll tell you everything now.” Katie said when we let go.

“It’s ok. I forgive you. I promise to tell you… well some stuff, seeing that he is your brother.” I said.

“I was about to say.” she said with a giggle.

She then got another text message.

“Go ahead. I’m gonna see what movie we can watch.” I said as I walked over to movie collection in room.

“Thanks, Kayla.” She said with a smile.

She then went back to her phone. I smiled too. I have never seen my best friend this happy in a long time.