Messed Up Youthful Innocence

One Happy Family?

(Kayla’s POV)

I was rudely awaken by Petey the day after my double date with Drew, Katie, and Jake.

“Wakey wakey.” Petey said as he jumped on my bed.

“Go away, Petey.” I grumbled underneath the covers.

“Mom and Dad told me to wake you up. It’s almost 1. Someone came in late last night.” He said.

“Eww wait, please don’t tell me you did anything with my best friend. Eww no.”

“Petey, stop. No we didn’t do anything.”

I then got out of my bed and went into my bathroom to go pee. After I was done, I washed my face, dried it and walked out of my bathroom. I found Petey still on my bed.

“Petey, did you wake up Kay?” Mom said over the intercom.

“Yea, I’m awake.” I said back into the intercom.

“Ok, come you two. I made lunch.” Mom said back.

Petey got up from my bed as I grabbed my phone, and we both went downstairs to the kitchen. Mom had put down a bowl of rice along with the Filipino dishes that she made today and the night before on the table. Dad was on the phone sitting at the table.

“Yea, I’ve actually been thinking about it… Well I don’t know, it’s not just my decision too… Yea, well call him and see what he says and get back to me. I gotta go. Alright bye.”

Dad then put down his cell phone, and Mom sat down next to him. Petey and I sat across from Mom. We all started to grab food and gulf it all down.

“So how was your nights?” Mom said, always trying to get us to talk to her and Dad.

“Good.” Petey and I said at the same time.

“What did you two do?”

“Well we all know that Petey went out with a new girl this week.” I mumbled.

“Kayla.” Dad said.

“Sorry.” I said as I looked over at Petey when I said it.

I then started to notice something.

“Petey, are you wearing eyeliner?” I said as I looked closer.

Mom and Dad then looked up from their plates and looked more closely at Petey.

“Do you have to shout it to the whole world?” Petey said looking at me.

“I knew this day would come…” Mom said.

“What?”

“That our whole family is now wearing eyeliner. What is gonna happen next, the whole family straightens their hair??” She said.

“So what are you using?” I asked.

“Liquid on top, then pencil on the bottom.” Petey said.

“Wait, didn’t anyone say anything to you when you bought them at the store?”

“I… didn’t…buy them?” Petey said with a nervous giggle.

“Oh my God.” I said as I got up from my chair.

I then rushed upstairs to his room which also had is bathroom in it as well. I turned on the light in his bathroom and walked over to the counter to find my eyeliner sitting on his counter. I then rushed to my room to check if it was mine. I went to my bathroom counter to see that it was. I rushed downstairs back into the kitchen.

“Ass, way to steal my eyeliner.” I said.

“Oh come on…” Petey said.

“You know with the eyeliner, you look just like you’re father when he was your age.” Mom said.

“He does. You know pencil is so much better.” Dad said.

“Are you kidding me?” I said.

“No, liquid is better. It stays much better than pencil especially on top. Their eyes are just like mine. They have creases that would cause the eyeliner to smudge. But using pencil on the bottom works better.” Mom said.

“That is true… But…”

Mom, Dad and Petey were in deep discussion, and they weren’t even listening to me.

“Mom…Dad…”

Still talking.

“Petey…”

Yup still talking.

“ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!?!” I screamed.

“Kayla.” Mom said in shocked.

“Petey, get your own eyeliner. I can’t believe I’m having this conversation with my own brother…” I said as I sat down next to him again.

“Get use to it, Honey. Trust me, I use to steal your mother’s all the time.” Dad said.

“Use to? You still do! And trust me, Kay. You’ll get use to it. If you want Petey I could go out and buy some for you so you don’t seem embarrassed to get some.” Mom said.

“No, I’ll just borrow Kayla’s.” Petey said with a smirk.

“Mom…. Dad…” I whined.

“I’m just kidding.” Petey said.

All of sudden, Grenade Jumper started to play. It was Katie, either a text message or a phone call. I grabbed my phone from the island counter to find that it was a text message.

”Drew is pissing me off. He needs to stop ruining my relationship with Jake. Please talk to him.”

“Oh jeez.” I said as I rolled my eyes.

I exited out of the text message from Katie and then opened up a new one to send to Drew.

”Andrew John Hurley II, I told you not to ruin Katie’s night, and yet you did. She just told me. Stop ruining something really good for your little sister.”

“What happened?” Petey asked.

“Drew and Katie are fighting over what happened last night….”

“Well who’s idea was it to go on a double date with the Hurley’s together. Not a good idea, Kay.”

“Oh come on, Drew needs to get over the fact that his little sister is dating his really good friend.”

“He will never get over that. I know that…”

“Oh really? You know that as Drew’s friend or as an overprotective brother?” I said.

“The first one?”

“Oh my God. Petey, you need to get over this.”

“I will not. Drew’s my best friend. I’m allowed to be overprotective over my sister.”

“Yea your sister who was born 7 minutes before you.” I argued.

“Who cares?!”

“Don’t you trust Drew?”

“Of course I do! But he’s my best friend. He told me everything before you dated. I know what he wants.”

“Oh so you’re saying that I’m not good enough for him…”

“No that’s not what I’m saying. Mom, Dad… a little help.” Petey said as he looked over at them in a pleading way.

Mom just looked at him and didn’t say anything…but Dad did.

“Petey has every right to be overprotective. And I still have every right to as well. Kayla…”

“Dad, I’m not gonna hear it…” I said.

“Yes you are… Kayla…”

“La la la la la.” I sang as I plugged my ears not listening to him

“Kay-Koala Bear…” I heard dad say say somehow.

Petey was saying something too and looking at me. They were all talking at the same time.

“That’s it!” Mom yelled.

We all stopped to look at her. I pulled out my fingers out of my ears slowly, a little scared.

“All of you go upstairs to rooms. This is getting annoying. Both Peters, you are going to have to accept the fact that Kayla is dating. Kayla, stop getting overworked over some eyeliner that your brother took. It’s not like we can buy some more. Petey, stop stealing your sister’s things. Kayla, clear the table, Petey wash the dishes, and Pete go back to calling people.” Mom said.

We all just stood there staring at her, trying to take in what she just said to us.

“Well what are you waiting for?” Mom said as she got up.

She left the table and headed for upstairs.

“Sometimes I feel like I’m raising three children.” I heard her say as she walked away.

“Honey?” Dad said.

She then just waved her hand up in annoyance as she walked away. All of three of us just looked at each other in confusion.

“You heard your mother.” Dad said.

He then got up, grabbed his cell phone and went upstairs following Mom.

“Uhh What just happened?” Petey said looking at me.

“I don’t even know.” I said as looked back at him.

We then both got up and did what we were told.