Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Stating The Obvious

(Kayla’s POV)

By the time it was almost 10, the party was getting pretty wild. We made sure that no one was to go upstairs so we wouldn’t have to clean more rooms before our parents got home. I cleaned up some of the mess a little and put out more food.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!!” I heard someone scream from the family room.

I rushed over there to see two boys on the floor, wrestling. I rushed over and split it up. I’m use to it. Petey and Drew would wrestle all the time. I looked to see Petey and James Fields spread apart from each other.

“What the hell is going on?” I asked.

“You douche. Take back what you said!” Petey threaten him, not listening to me.

“Peter!” I yelled.

“Take back what you said about my sister!” He yelled wrestling James again.

I split them up again.

“What the hell, James?! What did you say?” I asked as I grabbed his ear.

“He said you were easy and that you gotten with him twice.” Petey said angrily.

“What the fuck? James, you ass. I would never date you in a million years let alone get with you.” I said as I pulled at his ear harder.

“Oww! I was joking.” James yelled.

“Joking my ass!” Petey said.

“Damn dude. I’m sorry. Dang… you Wentzes are something.” James said as he ran off releasing from my grasp.

I shook my head and left the room. I headed outside and walked away to hopefully a better scene from the last one I was just in. I scoped out the backyard to see a not so pretty sight. Jessica Koch all over Drew. I felt my fist clench as I saw her rubbing his arm and doing that stupid pouty look. She’s the slut of Petey’s and my class. She tries to get all these guys that are older than her to get her crap. When she doesn’t get her way, she gets mad and dumps them. Not only that, but she cheats on them too, which is pathetic and mean. After staring at them for a good 2 minutes, I felt someone behind me.

“A little jealous are we?”

I snapped out of my trance and saw Katie besides me.

“What are you talking about?” I asked nonchalantly.

“Dude, just tell me already.” Katie said with her hand on her hip.

“Huh?”

“Come on, Kay. We’re best friends. We tell each other everything. I know you’re hiding something from me.”

“I’m not…”

“Liar.”

“You didn’t let me finish my sentence.”

“I already know what you’re gonna say. “

“Well I’d rather not tell you.”

“Well, you don’t have to. I can see it in your actions and face.”

“I still don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“The fact that you like my brother.”

I sort of froze up. I kept my cool and looked at her.

“No, I don’t…” I said with a confused look.

“Yea, you do. I could tell ever since we were 10…”

“Technically, if I was 10, you were 9.”

“And your point…”

“That would be off ‘cause you’re a year younger…”

“Stop veering away from the point. The point is you like my brother. Don’t deny it.”

I knew I couldn’t hide it from her much longer. She was my best friend. We’ve known each other since we were born. There’s not much to deny it now. Plus she caught me.

“Ok fine… I kinda have crush on your brother.”

“Kinda?”

“Ok… I like your brother. Big deal…”

“It is a…”

She stopped in the middle of her thought when a familiar blond haired boy walked past us. Jake Bryar, son of Taylor and Bob Bryar (Yes, drummer from My Chemical Romance), walked past us. He gave me a “what’s up” nod and walked towards the pool.

“Hey, Jake.” I said.

I looked over at Katie who was staring at him. She then regained herself, and continued on with her thought.

‘It is a big deal. Do you think you two will ever hook up?”

“I don’t know. Honestly, I’m not thinking about that right now. Besides, your brother will never date me.”

“Why not?”

“Because…I’m probably not his type. Plus he’s you brother and my brother’s best friend.”

“You’re gonna let that stop you?”

“Katie…”

“Kayla, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it doesn’t hurt to try.”

“I don’t know Katie.”

“We can’t predict what might happen, but you’ll never know.” She said with a smile.

She then gave me a hug, which of course I returned back. We continued on, putting the thought in the back of our minds. I continued on to have fun. By the time it hit almost 1, the party really died down. A couple of people were still here like a few of our close friends. I headed back downstairs from putting on clothes to see Jessica leaving. She of course was giving Drew a hug goodbye. I huffed out my anger and walked past them, sort of knocking her.

“Hey…” she said when I did.

I started to clean up a bit when she left.

“What was that all about?” Drew asked me.

“What are you talking about?”

“You knocking into Jessica.”

“It was honestly a mistake.” I said as I stacked up cups.

“Really? Because…”

“Kay, why are you cleaning up? We’ll do it in the morning before Mom and Dad get home.” Petey said as he walked into the front living room where we were at.

I was about to answer back when I was cut off from footsteps coming downstairs. We all looked up to see Katie coming down fully clothed.

“I see you finally put a real shirt on.” Drew said to Katie

Katie and I were about to say something else when I heard a key being inserted into the front door. We all froze and stared at the front door as it was being unlocked.