Messed Up Youthful Innocence

What Are You Thankful For?

(Pete's POV)

We all groaned in pain. Not just any pain; in food coma pain. Chrissy and Erelin made a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, which of course we all spent together. This year it was at our house. We switch holidays and years so it's even for us. I rubbed my stomach in a circular motion to rub the pain away. Andy was on the other couch. The kids were all lying on the ground, all lazy to move. Just then Chrissy and Erelin came from the kitchen from cleaning up the table and putting away left overs. Erelin came over and sat by me. I lied down on her, putting my head on her lap.

"Full?" she asked as she ran her fingers through my hair.

"You slowly kill all of us each year." I said groggily.

She chuckled a little as she continued to rub her fingers in my hair. It was putting me to sleep.

"Mommy... my tummy hurts." I heard Katie say.

"I'm sorry? I told you if you were full that you didn't have to eat the cake along with the pie." Chrissy said.

The kids all of a sudden groaned at the same time.

"Did all of you guys get both cake and pie?" Erelin asked.

They all groaned, agreeing with her statement. She sighed and continued to stoke my hair.

"Hey... we don't say what we are thankful for anymore." Kayla said.

"It's the same old stuff each year. We say we are thankful for our parents, food, a roof over our heads... blah blah blah. Dad goes on a weird rant about something with us or music. And, Mom simply says us." Petey said

"Well I am thankful for you two and your father." Erelin said.

"Well at least say something different."

"Why when I really am thankful for you three along with the Hurley clan."

"Why?" Petey said egging her on.

"Because, almost 17 years ago, my two best friends got married. A month afterwards, I found out I was pregnant. Two months later, I found out I was having twins. That's why."

I looked up to her and smiled. This was the sweetness I had fallen for 27 years ago. She smiled back at me as she continued to stroke my hair.

"I am also thankful for the fact that you two are exactly like your father and me."

"I also agree with that statement but about Katie and Drew." Chrissy said.

"Why?" Drew asked.

"Because you four do the exact same things we did when we were your age. So we know what you probably are thinking next." Andy said.

"If that doesn't sound creepy, then I don't know what does." Petey said.

"Well we did make you." I said.

"Eww don't start on how you make us." Kayla said.

"Yea before I throw up all of my dinner." Drew said.

"Well... it all started with..." Chrissy began.

All of a sudden the kids all screamed on the top of their lungs, trying to drone her out. They put their fingers in the ears to block it all out. I chuckled as I watched them throw fits. This was my family. I don't care if we aren't blood related. I wouldn't imagine my life without these seven people who keep me going.