I'm Loving Angels Instead

Unforeseen Complications

I pecked a sleeping Vann on the forehead and hurried out the door. I immediately turned on my iPod once I saw the boy from the evening before. He smiled and started to say something, but I looked away. From the corner of my eye, I observed him: dark brown---almost black---hair, mocha eyes, caramel skin, only a few inches taller than my own five-five stature. He had a black backpack slung over one shoulder and a large five-subject notebook, a textbook, and a reading book in one hand. His navy jeans and white t-shirt accentuated his good physique. I boarded the goldenrod bus that bore the words MURRAY HIGH SCHOOL in thick, bold, black letters on the sides. An empty seat in the back beckoned me; I sat and stared out the window. My neighbour took the vacant spot beside me. At my questioning glance, he pointed to the sign above the window.

Seat 14
David Archuleta

-♥-

I entered the office and asked for my timetable and locker assignment. My locker was in the 400s. I found it with very little difficulty. Opening it was a different story. Finally, I pulled the door hard enough to hit myself in the face. Students around me laughed, and my cheeks burned from embarrassment. The David kid, my neighbour, stopped, stared, but continued walking. I sighed and glanced down at my timetable.

"Great. Integrated Chemistry and Physics. Yay."

"Hi. I'm Emily."

"Hi."

"You're Dana, Dave's neighbour, right?"

"Yeah."

"I'm his best friend. Where you heading?"

"Integ Chem and Phys."

"Me, too. Teacher?"

"Watkins."

"Damn. Boener. Well, here's your clss. Bye."

"Yeah."

I had a feeling this Emily girl was about to make my life difficult.