I'm Loving Angels Instead

Confrontations

Once the bus stopped, I hurried off and found my locker. There was a poster taped to it. I stopped, staring at it.

Dana Jasmine Kane
if you want some fun, call her! she's got living proof that she knows what "fun" is!
555-5328

Across the picture at the bottom, which was of me from Brookston, holding Vann, it read SLUT! With tears in my eyes, I ripped the paper from my locker door and crumbled it up. Students all around me were pointing and laughing; I turned around and ran into David. He looked wounded when I shoved him away from me forcefully. I threw the paper in his face.

"Is this your idea of a joke?" I spat before dropping my bag and running.

My feet kept going out of the school, down the streets, and up the sidewalk of my block. With shaking hands, I unlocked the front door and entered my house. Tears streamed down my face, and I slid to the floor with my back against the door.

"Oh, God."

David's P.O.V.

I smoothed out the paper and read it quickly. Emily pushed through the crowd, a puzzled expression on her face.

"What's going on?"

Her eyes dropped to the flier in my hand, and a dark cloud appeared in her hazel irises. Breanna was still laughing until my best friend pushed her against the wall.

"Think it's funny?"

"We all do, Williams."

"Not all of us, Dale. What is your problem?"

"What's yours?"

Emily blocked her from moving. "My problem is you."

"I didn't do anything."

"Quit lying!"

"I'm not lying."

"Emily. Take me home."

"Oh, did hurt poor David's feelings?" Breanne mocked, and Emily lunged at her.

"Emily!"

"Bitch."

I never thought Emily's old, beat-up red Impala would go over fifty. I mean, I knew it could, but I thought I'd never see the day. Emily lit up a cigarette on the way, and for once, I didn't complain. Finally, she pulled into the joint driveway; I jumped out of the car and grabbed Dana's book-bag from the backseat. I knocked on her front door, but, upon getting no answer, turned the knob. The door swung open; Emily followed me in.

"Dana?"

"What do you want, David?"

"Oh, Mr. Kane. I came to give her bag back to her."

"I think it's just best if you left."

"Sir, I had nothing to do with what happened at school."

"Just go, David."

I nodded and beckoned for Emily to go with me. She remained where she stood.

"Mr. Kane, David had no idea that this would happen. It's not his fault."

"Come on, Emily."

At her car, she lit up another cigarette and stared at a window. I followed her gaze to see Dana watching us. I lifted an arm to wave, but the curtains fell shut

"Dave---"

"I'm not going back to school."